Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Grandparents

When Emma was 2 1/2 and Tyler was just a year old we drove to D.C. for Thanksgiving to be with my grandparents who were there on a mission. That was one of the most fun trips - my Grandma is SO MUCH FUN and loves kids. She played with mine the whole time we were there, and she got them hooked on hide-n-seek, even in their tiny missionary apartment. When the kids couldn't find her (which was always the case), she would literally squeak until they found her. I got the biggest kick out of my grandma, squeaking from some closet or bedroom. This little sound has carried over into our own games of hide-n-seek.

Emma is at pre-school this morning and Tyler said, "Will you play with me?" I asked what he wanted to play and he told me we should do hide 'n seek. This game is hilarious but also frustrating because my kids are clueless about hiding. For that matter, they're also clueless about seeking. He started counting to 10 (much too fast) and I took off running with him hot on my heels. As I jumped behind the couch, I heard him start squeaking, needing a clue about where to find me. I like to call this cheating, but he is only 3. He of course found me quickly and then I got to find him, using the squeak method as well.

My other grandma is so talented and always knits things for my babies. I have always felt a special bond with her. Before Emma was born she gave me (for Emma) some homemade Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls. They hung out in her crib as a baby, untouched for about a year. Now Emma really enjoys playing with them, almost on a daily basis. I don't get to see my grandparents too often. I am fortunate that all 4 of them are still living (while all of Spencer's have passed) and I hope my kids get to make lots more fun memories with them.

Here they are with the Grandparents during our trip to D.C. (2006)


Here is my grandma meeting and holding her very first great-grandchild (Emma).


Here are my other two grandparents (dad's parents) meeting and admiring Emma. I love this picture.

3 comments:

Gary and Michelle said...

Grandparents are the best. (Aunts and Uncles aren't too bad either) Whenever I return home from errands, Katie will hide behind the couch and squeak until I come find her. She is alomst 8 and still finds this amusing.

You should come visit your grandparents soon, then we could see you too! Love you guys.

Becke said...

When you put "squeak" I started laughing out loud. Jared squeaks also, as learned by grandma. Even when he is hiding, I guess that is to help me find him. Funny!

Natalie N said...

What beautiful grandparents! How special that your kids have gotten to know their "greats". Loved the pictures of baby Emma!