Sunday, January 4, 2009

They say the darndest things

Tyler started Primary today. I can't even describe how excited he has been, mostly because he knew he would get to sit right in front of Emma! He has been calling himself "huge" and other similar things in preparation for the big day. I don't know whether to feel happy for him or sorry for him that he's the only boy among 5 girls in his class. I dropped the kids off today for their new classes. He walked right up to the front row, BEAMING. When he waved to me for the 3rd time I figured he'd be ok and I left. But maybe I should have stayed!

I have had more people come up to me today and tell me funny Tyler in Primary stories! The first was from the chorister. Every time they would sing a new song, she would ask who knew it and his hand would shoot up. He assumed that since he knew it (though he really didn't), he got to go up and stand with her. So...Tyler spent most of singing time up in front of the rest of the Primary. I wish I could have seen that. Tonight our Bishop stopped by. He said that when he went in for middle exercises they asked if there were any visitors - people there for the first time. According to the Bishop, a little voice from the front row said, "I'm a visitor!" And again, the hand shot up. He was right - it was his first time. So the entire primary sang to the entire Sunbeam class.

Some other things about Tyler:
*He is so polite! When we introduce him to someone new, he'll say (in a strong voice): "Hi! I'm Ty-er!" He did it just today at church when we introduced him to a nice man who was in a wheelchair.
*His grin melts my heart.
*He's still a cuddler. And he is always telling me, on his own, "I wove you."
*He LOVES to sleep (this is a recent love of his, in the last 6 months). He knows if he's tired and will ask for a nap and asks to go to bed at night. In fact, I'm usually trying to find ways to keep him up later so that he won't be up at 6 a.m. Strange kid. I love it.
*He is always telling me he will "bretect" me from the bad guys.
*His new favorite thing to say is "Aww nuts." It sounds so funny coming out of his mouth.
*He is so well-behaved. He sits through Sacrament meeting with no toys or treats and just lets me (or Spencer) hold him.
*He wakes up so happy. Almost too happy. It's lovely and also painful to hear "HI MOM!" at 6 a.m.
*He loves wearing his Jedi knight cape, while watching "Star Vors" and playing with his "lifesaver."

14 comments:

hales said...

My favorite phone call of the day always starts out with a loud, "HI GRANDMA!" And I can just see that huge grin of his. I miss that kid.

Cheri said...

Mom, it's more like "Hi Graaaandma!" :)

Melanie said...

I wish I coudl have been in primary to have seen Tyler do those funny things. He's such a sweet boy. Any time he comes over he just goes straight up to Tyler's room and plays. And I am always amazed every sunday at how he doesn't really play with any toys and gets through the whole thing. I wish I were that lucky to have well behaved kids during sacrament meeting :)

Lisa R.D. said...

I love it! Tyler is such a cute boy. I know the Primary leaders are grateful for kids that participate. He'll have a great time in Primary!

Natalie N said...

Oh man Cheri, can we trade 3 year old little boys?! Your Tyler is an angel! All these little Tyler-isms were so fun to read. What a little sweetheart.

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention his amazing, almost southern-ish accent. :-) I love that boy.

The Howard Bolton Family said...

I can't believe how much he has changed. I remember Sacrament Meetings when he was little. What a wonderful little boy.

I am teaching Sunbeams now, as well. I love the little ones. (Yes, I still teach Seminary too.)

The Rich Family said...

That is the benefit of being in Primary with your kids. HEE HE HE HEE. I love that Tyler is in to Star Wars now-----IT only gets WORSE--or better.----

Janene said...

so fun to get to know him better! I've been thinking now that Zach's five, I need to make some updated lists about my kids too...

Britney and Jaron said...

He sounds like such a little angel! I wish I could see your adorable kids in person but I guess pictures will have to do. I can't wait until Lexi gets older and does and says cute little things!

Rachel said...

What a cute kid! I bet he'll be so much fun to teach in primary.

Jana said...

sigh. I already miss his big "HI" in nursery.

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

So fun to hear how much he loved primary! Such a cute little red head!

Nau Willis said...

He is just so adorable!!!!