Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Projects

We have been having some glorious weather. I know that's the last thing a lot people want to hear right now, in the dead of winter. It's been sunny and in the 70s all week long. Even for where we live, this is very unseason-like. I took advantage of the warmth today by sitting outside and completing a project I have been wanting to finish for almost 2 months.

This is Macie's box. Inside:
  • A little shadowbox with a sprig of her casket flowers (dried). (Thanks to my MIL who took care of this for me after the funeral when I was a zombie case and wasn't thinking straight.)
  • Her memory box from the hospital (with a lock of hair, pictures, footprints, the shampoo they used to wash her hair, the hospital blanket, and the shirt they dressed her in).
  • A typed-up and printed off account that I wrote, with as specific details as possible so I won't forget anything.
  • All the cards and letters people sent. I should probably print off emails and include those too.

I thought this box was cute since it looks like a block, so I finally painted it today. The pink is a little more PINK than I wanted, but so what?

I also am getting in the mood for Valentine's! I don't have too many decorations, so I made up this sign last week and got it all attached to the canvas today. I'm happy with how it turned out.


We have been busy and crazy and my poor kids haven't had a very patient mom. We're planning a little, fun family getaway this weekend to make up for it!

12 comments:

Gary and Michelle said...

What a great project! You'll always be greatful you finished it. And isn't this weather the greatest? Here the highs have been about 65. We're loving it. Hope you have a great time this weekend!

hales said...

If we're comparing . . . the weather here has been in the 80's. Yup -- the 80's. Just sayin' . . . Anybody wanna go to the beach??

Oh -- back to Cheri. Cute box and decorations. In fact, I "stole" your valentine image and printed one up for myself. You're going to do all the holidays, right?

Cheri said...

Sure, I'll get to work on St. Patrick's day. Maybe I should start charging. :)

Britney and Jaron said...

Wow so cute! How big is that box? It looks enormous but it is adorable. I love the Valentine sign too! How did you make it? I am always wanting new decorations too!

Lisa R.D. said...

What great projects. I love Macie's box and your Valentine's decor is darling.

I have to say, I am more than a little jealous of your weather.

Cheri said...

I agree, it DOES look enormous but it actually about 10 inches in height/width.

Janalee said...

What a perfect idea! Such a cute decoration besides... Nice job on the Valentines deco! Where are you guys going this weekend? McKay didn't get home until 8:30 last night... and so it begins. Bring it on!

Melanie said...

You are so dang creative! Your valentine's picture reminded me of how much I need to scrapbook. Yikes!! I'm so behind now.

Natalie N said...

What a beautiful keepsake box. How special that you can treasure all those memories in one safe place.

And way to go on the Valentine's decor! We have nothing Valentine-ish around here, so Whitney has taken it upon herself to make her own signs and is taping them up on the walls everywhere. Oh man!

Have a great getaway this weekend. You all deserve it.

Kristina and Tyson said...

I love the box, Cheri! I am so glad that you have all those things to cherish and remember! I also really like your Valentine sign! I wish I was crafty like you...where do you find the time...one child is keeping me so busy that I am scared to have another one...

You are amazing, I know! Have fun on your weekend get-a-way...can't wait to hear about it!

Camille said...

Love the sign and the box - they both turned out great! Hope it was fun getting away to the snow! Don't even get me started on the weather.

Jamie said...

wow, you're faster than anyone I know at getting projects done. Seriously with everything going on its amazing it only took you a few months to get that done. I love getting things done so I feel happy to know you can cross something off your list.