Saturday, January 24, 2009

Pet Peeves

I realize that sometimes I am completely irrational. Some of the things that bug me are simply ridiculous. In terms of grammar, the latest thing that totally irritates me is the non-distinction between who's and whose. There IS a difference. But does it really matter? Sometimes yes but usually not. Still, it bugs me. (Here is my last grammar-ranting post from a few months ago, which turned into a great discussion.)

When our two kids were both little and drank from sippy cups, I became the sippy cup nazi. I had certain lid colors that coordinated with the cup colors (talking about the cheapo sippy cups that I still have 3 1/2 years later). I think the color coordination was all just in my mind, however. I told Spencer how it worked, how they HAD to go together. He of course never seemed to care which color of lid went with which color of cup. Let me tell you, it drove me craaazy when Tyler was drinking out of a red cup with a yellow lid (supposed to be green). Why did it matter? IT DIDN'T! Even as I just now poured some milk into an orange cup, I moved the green lid out of the way to find the yellow one. Ridiculous!

One thing still makes me mad, and I am embarrassed to say that it has resulted in slight anger coming from my mouth more than one time, but most likely less than 200 times. When Spencer heats things up in the microwave, he always sets the cook time for way longer than necessary. When he determines it is done (based on a certain amount of sizzle, or one too many explosions), he opens the microwave and takes out his food. He never clears the timer!! I know, who cares!? But it's the one thing in our marriage that makes me crazy! (I guess we're doing pretty well if that's the only thing.) I have told him many times that I recognize the insanity of my irritation, but that he still needs to clear the timer so I can read the time when I'm in the kitchen! Nothing worse than getting up in the middle of the night, going into the kitchen for something, and not being able to see the time. You may see my point, but I realize this is something that I'll have to get over. Because no matter how many times I tell Spencer, I'm still going to have to be the one to clear the microwave, probably for the rest of my life. Hey, if this is the worst I have to say about him, we're in pretty good shape, yes?

Do you have irrational pet peeves?

16 comments:

Mark and Kim said...

I have plenty of irrational pet peeves but the problem is they change from one day to the next! Today it was Mark not closing the front door before walking in and setting down his stuff. Hello...our thermostat is right by the front door and gas prices have gone up! :)

Misty said...

yep! i HATE if I don't have two corners of the blanket on me. The blanket has to be straight - and the right way. If it's the short way, I spin it around in the middle of the night until I find my corners and then I can rest.

I also HATE when the corners of the sheets come off the bed. Can't rest until it's fixed.

We now have 2 sinks in our bathroom and I really hate it when there is someone else's spit in MY sink...that has been taken care of though! =)

Also - along the lines of who's and whose - how about they're and their, and there! =)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!!! I can't believe someone else has the microwave-not-being-cleared pet peeve! My roommates make fun of me so much for that bugging me. Maybe it's in the genes. :-)

siovhan said...

I have the microwave one too!!!!!!!!! I HATE HATE THAT! And it's the most ridiculous thing to get upset over.

I also hate when people clean and just set stuff on my bed when it has another place. Just because I own it, doesn't mean it goes in my room...or more especially on my bed.

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

Funny thing, the microwave timer always drove me crazy when Spencer and I were roommates--and the best part is it frustrated me when I had to get up in the night to get him his midnight snack so he'd go back to sleep and couldn't see the time also! OK, not quite, but Meg and I got a kick out of that. We hope you're all doing well--
--J.R.

Nau Willis said...

this is so hiliarious! I was literally laughing out loud when you finally wrote what Spencer did! lol! Wayne and I BOTH do that to the microwave, so if you came to our house you would be irritated with both of us!
I dont get irritated anymore, the things that I cant change I just do it and remind how patient I was when he gets irritated at things I do!!! It works wonders!!!

hales said...

Sounds like you're headed for Dr. Phil for sure! Or Jerry Springer. I mean, the whole point of marriage is to change the person. Right??

Ellice said...

Okay... I got a pretty good laugh out of this one.... John does the very same thing with the microwave. I am constantly telling myself it really isn't that big of a deal... but it still drives me crazy :).

Great post! Hope all is well.

Laura said...

I am trying to "let go" of my pet peeves too! Most of mine have to do with cleaning...leaving a cereal bowl in the sink, socks on the floor, etc. 10 years of marriage and I've learned these things are part of the package. And he puts up with my quirks pretty welll...I can never find my keys, cell phone, or scripture pen (I usually steal his). One I haven't gotten over: Kevin is SO great about starting laundry, and then not finishing it. So the laundry ends up stinking in the washing machine, or wrinkling in a pile on the chair in our bedroom. I should just be thankful he gets it started.

Braden said...

my little brother and my father do the same thing with the microwave! i hate, hate, hate it! i have my fair share of pet peeves. I hate it when people say things like "anyways". there is no "s" on the end. i also hate it when people speak with nasty grammar, as i progress in my English classes my family has noticed that i've become more of a grammar nazi. ben hates it when i correct his papers now (mainly because i get angry and make him take it away from me). i also hate bad massachusetts drivers.

Cheri said...

Braden, you win. Bad MA drivers take the cake for the most irritating.

Lisa R.D. said...

I hate it when cupboards are left open and socks on the floor and empty toilet paper rolls and... I should stop. I'm already feeling irritated :).

Jana said...

Pretty much all of my pet peeves are irrational :)

Gary and Michelle said...

It's so good to hear there are others that are as neurotic as me. I totally agree with the sippy cup rules and might I add that there is a proper way to load the dishwasher. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Natalie N said...

Pure entertainment, Cheri! What a funny post.

I think your blog header at the top is so cute! And I love the beach background--are you loving the sunny weather? Too bad it's not as warm as it looks outside. We're chilly up here despite the sunshine.

Take care!

The Howard Bolton Family said...

I love this blog posting! It reminds me of twenty-five years of peeves come and gone. I have peeves, like the toilet seat up, so that you fall in during a night trip to the bathroom. The response I get is, "Why do I have to put it down? You're the one using the toilet." Here are a few others that get the hairs on my back to stand up and my claws to itch out: socks in random places all over the house, shoes (multiple pairs from the same owner) by the couch, no one knows how to replace toilet paper on the roller, but Mom...the list is a little long. It has evolved and devolved over the years, but alas, some things still remain on the list.