Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Big 5

I think I must be one of the luckiest people alive. 5 years ago today Emma joined our family. She is the most sweet, kind-hearted, compassionate little girl I have ever known. For FHE last night, we talked about the day Emma was born and then went through her baby book and some of the funny things she has said. She loved every second of attention.

Some more about Emma:

*She is a pleaser. She wants to make others happy. She loves making others happy. I know this is a rare quality to find in someone so young. Her heart is so pure.

*She is the best sister Tyler (and Macie) could ask for. She plays with Tyler faithfully and they are the best of friends. I love to watch them interact. I can probably count on one finger (maybe two) the amount of times she has upset him. Emma also looks forward to our weekly visits to see her sister. She always sings her the latest song she's learned in Primary. Very sweet.

*She is stunning. Her big brown eyes get me every time. And her smile melts my heart. Spencer agrees. In fact, he's already nervous about the big birthday just 11 years from now.

*Emma is a joy to her pre-school teacher. Miss Darlene tells me almost every day how much she enjoys Emma. This makes me so proud - it's hard to know how your children do away from home and away from their parents. I know I don't need to worry.

*Emma LOVES doing her "homework." She asks for reading lessons every day. She's always had an affinity for learning. In fact, I really like taking her in to the doctor every year to watch her blow the doctor away.

I don't know how I got so lucky, but boy - I'm so glad I did!! Emma, I love you more than you could know. Thanks for showing me what being a mommy is all about.


Happy Birthday my girl.

15 comments:

Britney and Jaron said...

Wow! I can't believe she is 5 years old. Crazy how time flies. Emma sounds like a sweetheart, an obvious result of you and Spencer! She is adorable!

Lisa R.D. said...

Happy Birthday Emma! I love the page you put together, it's such a great idea to have pictures from each year. Your pages are always cute!

jksfam said...

Happy Birthday to Emma!!!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EMMA!!! It has been so fun being her aunt!

hales said...

I can't believe it's been five years already. What an angel she is. Love you Emma!
Grandma and Papa

Rachel said...

I can't believe you have a five year old! Where did the time go? She is a cute one...I'm sure she'll have (or already has) Spencer wrapped around her finger. I can understand why he is a bit worried about 11 years from now already!

breanna said...

it's SO crazy! it doesn't seem too long ago that i visited you two in the hospital! i remember being there holding her still clueless about labor and delivery with only a few weeks to go with renee. but you totally calmed my fears. i figured if you could go through labor and a c-section then i could surely handle what was a head! emma is adorable and sweet...you should definitely claim that those traits are inherited from you!

Natalie N said...

HAPPY 5th Emma!! I loved seeing the time line of her pictures. She's just a beautiful little gal. She sounds like the perfect child to have around! Hope she had a wonderful day!

Kylee said...

Happy Birthday Emma! I love that photo collage you did with a pic of each year, very cute! How are you doing Cheri? I am glad you found my blog! what all are you guys up to? Where do you live? Ya, this time of year is not the best to be the wife of a CPA. At least we are in February now...a little closer to the end of busy season! Your kids are so cute!

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday Emma!!!

Jana said...

happy birthday emma!

ps. your kids were so cute when we watched them over here the other day. i'll have to tell you all of the funny things they said :)

Gary and Michelle said...

Happy Birthday Emma! It must be something with the name. I'm so glad you have her to help you through the rough parts of life.

Crystal said...

Emma is HUGE! I can't believe it! Does she still sing all the words to Route 66? I miss your kids a ton. I haven't seen them in forever! You need to come and visit again sometime, or better yet, I need to take a road trip to CA some time and see you guys. I bet the kids wouldn't even recognize me anymore. Well tell Emma her favorite babysitter says happy birthday!

The Howard Bolton Family said...

Happy Birthday to you Emma! Happy day of celebrating God's blessings to you Cheri!!!

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

So sweet! Crazy that Emma was just a few months old when I first met you guys--I think it was at Jake's wedding actually. So I have been wondering a few things about how/where you print your digital scrapbooking pages, sizes, etc. Random I know, but I am wanting to get more into that way of doing things around here.