Sunday, October 25, 2009

365 days ago

A year ago this morning, I woke up with no clue I would hold a baby that afternoon. I also had no clue the baby inside would me wouldn't be a real living, breathing baby, but instead she would be an angel. I had no clue that the light contractions were in fact indicating the end of a life inside of me, trying to rid my body of something that was no longer kicking, moving, living. I had no idea I would have be admitted to the hospital, only to come home a few days later with no baby. I remember praying so hard that she would somehow be alive, even after they told me she wasn't.

When I hear of others who have had stillborns, for an instant I cringe and think, "I could never do that. I could never bear it." Oh, but I did. It almost feels like that 8 1/2 months of my life was more of a dream. But the real end hasn't come yet and I just have to be patient. I yearn for better technology, a machine that can show if there is something wrong with the umbilical cord. I am terrified of ever being pregnant again, if I get so lucky again someday.

Oh how thankful I am for our families, who helped us, and continue to help us deal with it. So many of them sent cards, emails, texts, gifts, and items for Macie's grave for this, her 1 year birthday.

Some random thoughts:

-It rained the day we buried her. It rained on the way to the cemetery. It stopped when we got out of the car, and bits of sun peeked out. It rained as we drove home.
-Someday I will get to be her mom again. I think we'll be friends, like sisters...like equals. I know she still exists and I know she is happy. My soul is healing. But I still miss my baby.
-I drive past the hospital almost every day (not intentionally; it's just really close). But I have had a hard time driving past it the last few weeks. The leaves are changing colors, and the trees outside the hospital look just as they did when I was staying there. I don't like it.
-Spencer had to go see someone in the hospital a few weeks ago. He had a panic attack upon walking in the door. I think I would have too. That was his first time back. I haven't been back since I left almost one year ago.
-So, in her honor, we will be having a party today - eating cupcakes, letting balloons go, and singing her a song or two. Time is surely different where she is, and maybe this is more for us than for her, but I'm sure she'll enjoy it too. If you'd like to give your kids a squeeze at 4 pm local time, I think it would do us all some good.

Happy Birthday Macie!

18 comments:

Misty said...

You made me cry! I hope that her party brings more healing to you and your family. We'll be thinking of you!

Rachel said...

I can't even imagine what you went through a year ago and continue to feel to this day. My thoughts are with all of you on this difficult day. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Your post was so touching and sincere--it brought tears to my eyes. I will be thinking of you all today at 4:00.

jksfam said...

I can't imagine the difficult times you've had. I'm so glad to know that you will be with her again, though! Thinking of you today!

Kim said...

Thank you for sharing your tender thoughts, Cheri. We will indeed be thinking of you and giving our girls a squeeze at 4pm. I pray that God will continue to bless your lives. :)
Happy Birthday, Macie.

Unknown said...

Love you guys, my thoughts are always with your family :-)

Camille said...

I had an 11 1/2 month old girl sitting on the row in front of me at church and a new born baby on the row behind. I thought of you through the entire meeting and tried (without success) not to cry. She'll help you through it and be there to comfort you today.

Sierra Parke said...

Our family will say a prayer for you at 4pm today...in just a 1/2 hour. You are so strong and so amazing Cheri. Your story is inspiring and so touching.

Unknown said...

Cheri~
Your words were beautiful. You are truly an example to all. Arne't we grateful for the knowledge of eternal families.
Shelly

The Rich Family said...

I have thought about what Macie is doing today. I am sure she got a peak at her "birthday party" at the cemetary. She is for sure smiling down. You guys are in our thoughts today.

Amy said...

Thinking of you guys today. I wish that we all didn't belong to the same "club". Hoping your day is full of peace today. :)

Laura H. said...

Happy birthday Macie. Cheri, I never fail to be amazed by your strength. Families are forever - you give me such a real appreciation for that fact. We love you all!

hales said...

We love all of you. And we're missing Macie today also.
Grandma and Papa

Natalie N said...

Wow. What a tender post, Cheri! I loved it and loved hearing your thoughts about last year and today's events. I got chills when you described driving by the hospital now that the leaves changing colors and how it reminds you of last year.
Your family really is an inspiration to us all. We love you guys and have been thinking of you all day.
xoxo

The John Hollingshaus Family said...

Happy Birthday Macie! We love you guys.

Carrie

GHFamily said...

We wished you lived closer Cheri. It is hard to know you are going through trials without being able to help as much as we would like.

Carly said...

Happy Birthday to Macie! I am so lucky to be her aunt.

Stefanie said...

Happy Birthday Macie! I can't believe it's been a whole year. You are such a strong women Cheri and you help build my testimony everyday by your words and example.

April said...

All the same thoughts and feelings I am having right now. Tomorrow is Harry's 1st birthday. I think I will be ok tomorrow but who knows. I know the feelings of driving past the hospital, except now because I am pregnant I am going inside, to the Dr, same office. Its been hard but good at the same time, a bit of healing. What a beautiful day for a beautiful precious baby. I hope from here on out its peaceful healing and food days for us all. I heard the 1st's are the hardest, 1st Christmas without, 1st b-day etc. Lets hope. Love you, hope we get to meet someday. Love you.