Sunday, November 2, 2008

Not so Spooky

We had a somber week but tried to make Halloween as fun for the kids as possible. My sister Carly is here until tomorrow, so she and Spencer took the kids outside on Friday to carve pumpkins. We grew three of them in our garden this year, and then we had some huge ones - I don't even know where they all came from. They had lots of fun, and Emma made it her job to "stir the pot" of pumpkin seeds and guts - that kept her busy and entertained.

We have discovered a birthday tradition for Macie - every October 25th (starting next year) we will carve a "M" into a pumpkin and take it to the cemetary. We did it this year but left it on our porch. Maybe I'll even try to grow her pumpkin in our garden every year. Here we all are with Macie's pumpkin. Sorry Tyler is picking his nose - he is 3 after all...what can I say.

Here are Emma and Tyler with one of the big pumpkins. What cute faces.

And here are their costumes. Tyler was Buzz Lightyear and Emma was a fairy. Tyler has worn his costume every day since Halloween, and thinks he can fly when it's on. Due to the timing of Macie's burial, most of our family was here so the kids were in heaven trick-or-treating with their cousins. I'm glad they still got to have a fun Halloween.

I'm so thankful for my two sweet little kids. I won't post any details about the week or about Macie's graveside service, mostly because the events were far too special and sacred to be written on anything called a "blog," but everything was wonderful and Spencer and I feel honored and blessed to be her parents, even if it was only for a very short (earthly) time. Thanks to everyone for your kind words and prayers - they have been felt time and time again.

Now...down with the Halloween decorations. Is it too early to put up Christmas??

18 comments:

Valasi Satini said...

Hey Cheri its great to see you back online! And I don't think its too early to put Christmas decorations up! I went to Costco the other day and I could not believe that Christmas trees were up already! I love Christmas time!

Robert and Megan Elliott said...

I don't think it is ever to early for Christmas. I have even been known to have christmas and Halloween up at the same time. I don't recommend that but I thought it was fun.

Amy said...

You guys are my heros! Thanks for your example of moving forward and enjoying life with your kids!

We're praying for you!

hales said...

I will be bringing THANKSGIVING crafts and activities for the kids. (ha ha) But I have to agree with the other posts . . . it's not too early. It's just fun.

Stefanie said...

All I can say is you are an amazing beautiful person Cheri and I'm so grateful for the little bit of this sacred trial you and Spencer have shared with us. You have strengthened my testimony and I pray the Lord blesses you everyday.

heidi said...

What a great tradition. You two are wonderful parents, and I'm so glad you had a good Halloween. Your kids look so cute in their costumes. We are thinking about you.

Natalie N said...

Darling pictures, Cheri. You are beautiful. I loved this post. What an example your family is to all of us. Sounds like the graveside service was beautiful. Glad you have such sacred memories to hold on to. I love your new tradition.
xoxo

Lisa R.D. said...

I love your new tradition for Macie. Traditions are so important to remember special people and special days. I hope that you are healing (physically and emotionally). Your kids are darling. They are so lucky to be a part of your family--and Macie is too.

Jana said...

Tyler told me all about his Buzz costume! They are so cute!

I'm so glad that your family is doing well. I helped babysit cousins during Macie's service and I was so impressed at your extended family coming to support you - how blessed you are!

The Howard Bolton Family said...

It is so good to hear from you.

I am glad that the children had such a wonderful time. Your children have some of the most beautiful, loving spirits that I have had the pleasure to be around.

Heather and Matt Allen put up the Christmas tree November 1st. They believe in having the Christmas spirit for as long as possible. Heather says that it makes Thanksgiving more beautiful. I would love to adopt that tradition, but Howard is a bit of a Grinch.

Jamie said...

Cheri, you look awesome. I love that Tyler is picking his nose-so normal.

Christmas? Way too early!

The Rich Family said...

No way---We just got home around noon today, took down Halloween, turnedn on Christmas music and started putting up Christmas. We loved being with you and our kids have cherished memories. Luke keeps saying Spencer, Emma-----We then remind him of Cheri, and Tyler and baby Macie. and he says OHHHHHH.

Janene said...

I saw that pumpkin and wondered if you would make it a tradition. I think that is perfect! We will always be thinking of her especially at this time of year! Hugs.

Britney and Jaron said...

What a great tradition! That will be something so special that your children will look forward to. Cheri you look great and you and Spencer are amazing parents. You both are wonderful examples to me. Your kids are so cute. Does Tyler have red or strawberry blond hair? I have never noticed before! :)

siovhan said...

cheri, i love you. and i think about you EVERY day. and HECK NO it's not too early. i've already pulled out my christmas music collection and begun playing it when i'm in the car. i've also started watching christmas movies. :) so i say bring on christmas!!

Janalee said...

That family picture is inspiring! Bekah does not say a prayer without blessing "emma and tyler that they will be strengthened and nourished!" And then she blesses the food. So cute to hear it from her lips but we sure are thinking of you guys, everyday... We love you.

Braden said...

it's definitely not too early! i'm already putting my "christmas" playlist on my ipod (hehehe). my dad won;t let me listen to christmas music when he's around so i now have to be sneaky. i love the pumpkin idea, and i absolutely love the name you gave her, it's so pretty (prettier than anything i came up with!). you should call my family soon (preferably sometime when i'm actually at home).

Jana said...

I would love to do pictures for you - anytime, just let me know!! p.s. My sister and I decided that Emma is going to be a babe when she grows up. You might want to watch out for that :)