Monday, June 1, 2009

decor

Want to know a secret?

I am a clutterer. I am forever doomed. I can't escape it and I have come to accept that I will always be this way. With that in mind, I am determined that my walls will look nice. Maybe that will detract from my clutter! Also, in General Conference in April I heard one talk where the person (I really should look up his name) asked us to think of what our home looks like. What do we have on our walls? What do we value? As this talk was given just 4 days after we moved in, I have kept this in mind as I have decorated. Maybe I'm totally overthinking it all, but I want our walls to really and truly reflect US. By the way, I'm cheap (or frugal) and am suddenly house-poor so all of my decorating was under $75 total.
And here we go...come take a tour.

Either sides of the entryway. This gallery frame will eventually showcase places we've been. We just need to go some places... (Oh, and that door in the top picture is a door from the entry into the kitchen.)

I chose to crop my reflection out. This is the wall you see when you walk in the front door. Still lovin' the color.

These cute Ikea buckets are in my craft part of the laundry room. They come just plain silver, and since "plain" isn't in my vocabulary, I made them cute. Ribbons, markers, stamps, etc. will go in them once I figure out where in my garage all that stuff is. (Total price - $15.)

Silhouettes, on the wall leading into the living room (made by yours truly).

About half my blog readers are going to be familiar with this sign but it has an extra special meaning to us. And, I've read and thought of these words countless times in the last several months. And, it's cute!

In my kitchen (I know, duh).Also in my kitchen, above the breakfast nook. I adore that picture of Tyler. (This whole display cost me under $20 to make/buy!)

Above our bed. I don't know if you can read it. It says "Real Love Stories never have endings..." Thanks, Mom, for the quote idea. It's just the right amount of cheesiness for Spencer to roll his eyes but still like it at the same time.

Unfortunately, Tyler's room is still pretty boring. I got burned out by the time I got to his room. I'm sure he doesn't care too much. Anyway, I made this out of vinyl scraps since his room has a train theme.



I think Emma's room is cute. This is a Tinkerbell quote.


Those three mirrors...were the dark brown ones from Ikea. I used to have them in my living room. I recycled them by painting them white and yellow, and decorating them. At $2.99 each I could have just bought new ones but why do that when I can transform them for free?? (You should see Emma's ceiling - she has pictures of "Elphie" and Glinda taped up there. I still don't quite get that.)

So, two months to the day after moving in - here it is in all its glory! Homeownership is exhausting but so fun!!

8 comments:

Jamie said...

Great work and it only took you 2 months and $75. I'm a cheapo too which usually puts me into don't buy anything to decorate mode.

Sarah said...

LOVE the red color!!! Also - what color is the tan in your living room? We are also painting our living room and I love the color! Excellent budget decorating! You would never know it.

Lisa R.D. said...

Everything looks fabulous! I love the vinyl you have all over. (The board is especially great.) Thanks for sharing your good ideas.

The Reichmans said...

I am very impressed with all your craftiness:) It looks great. I am glad you took on the adventure of camping and I hope you have all recovered from all your mosquito bites.

Camille said...

LOVE it! When are you coming to decorate MY house? SO cute that we may need to come back down and see the finished product! Up for house guests again?

Kristina and Tyson said...

ADORABLE.....that is all I am going to say...and, um, can i copy you...or just come live in your house when you are done with it! Can't wait to decorate my own home one day!

Laura H. said...

I love it! You are definitely a natural at this decorating thing.

Janene said...

OK, two months? I've been here three plus years and we're not half that decorated! :o) Well done, you!