Sunday, June 21, 2009

yosemite

One of my favorite memories from my childhood was going to Yosemite in the summers. I don't know how many consecutive years we went, but I have great memories of that place. There were several families in our ward that would go up together; those were some fun times.

One year my older brother grabbed someone's open pocketknife and passed out after seeing the blood. I think he and my dad were in the ER (or whatever they used as an ER) for the better part of the day. Another year, that same brother threw my shoes into a mountain lake so I got to walk in wet shoes the whole day (don't worry Michael, you're forgiven). Another time, my dad "rented" a horse for the day - Johnny. Curry Village ice cream was a highlight every year.

Well, a few days ago we made the trip so I could take my own little family there. It has been about 14 years so there were a lot of things I didn't remember, or maybe things changed, but I still knew my way around pretty well. I remembered some of the hikes, and we even saw the horse stables; I wondered if Johnny was still there. I have to say that Yosemite is probably one of my favorite national parks; Half Dome is mind-boggling (from the bottom - I have yet to climb it), El Capitan is amazing, and all the waterfalls are breathtaking. And, we had to buy ice cream there, for old times' sake (for me anyway). The kids didn't complain.

In case you haven't heard, most National Parks are having 3 "no-entrance fee" weekends this summer. You missed the first (June 20-21) but there is one in July and one in August. Go here for more information, and get outdoors and enjoy! (However, be prepared to fight the crowds...)

Photobucket
Emma swimming in Mirror Lake (base of Half Dome) (Um...is it me, or does she look twice her age??)

Photobucket
We all know how impossible it is to stay clean while eating chocolate ice cream.

Photobucket
The stunning Yosemite Falls.

half dome
Looking down on Yosemite Valley (Half Dome in the distance)

Can't wait to go again!

14 comments:

Mark and Kim said...

How fun! We're going there in 2 1/2 weeks and meeting up with Afton and her family. Any hikes you'd recommend or other things? We've never been.

Natalie N said...

Beautiful pictures, and a beautiful family! Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time. I didn't know about the free admission weekends...we'll have to look into that. Thanks for the heads up!

Cheri said...

Kim - there are tons of hikes but we only did the "easy" ones because my kids hate hiking. Bridalveil Falls is the easiest, but there isn't a whole lot to see (so much mist in the air). Yosemite Falls is just a little walk to the base but you can also climb to the top if you're up to it. And we also did Mirror Lake, which is at the base of Half Dome. I'd recommend Vernal Falls, but we didn't do it this time because of the kids. There is lots of information on Yosemite's website (just google it) with details of all the hikes!

hales said...

That last picture looks like you're standing in front of a painting. Pretty.

Kylee said...

What a fun trip! I love going back to places that I spent a lot of time at as a youth. Adorable pictures! Especially love the last one!

Kristina and Tyson said...

Great family pic! You all look great and Yosemite looks absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to visit someday :)

Mark and Kim said...

Thanks for the info! We'll be hiking probably one day with Afton's kids so that's good to know!

Camille said...

You and Tyler look SO alike in your family pic! So much fun!

Melanie said...

looks like you had a good day-- hopefully we will make it up there sometime this summer. so many places to go, so many things to see......
My list keeps growing. If only I had more time :)

Gary and Michelle said...

Your kids are getting so big. We can't wait to see you in September.

Lisa R.D. said...

Very fun photos... Yosemite just made it onto my list of places I must visit!

Jen said...

We went there a couple times when I was young and I would love to take my family back some day. Looks like fun!

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

I want to go there!! Very stunning and it looks like fun.

Matt and Christen said...

I love this picture. I love how the background is blurry! Your camera is sweet. Its such a great family picture.

Christen