Thursday, June 4, 2009

Always right

Are you always right like me? I'm starting to think that it might be ok to not always be right. I have (sheepishly) said once or twice, after a child is hurt and crying: "Did I tell you to stop doing that?" Yes. "If you had listened you wouldn't have gotten hurt!" Sometimes I just feel like yelling "DUH!" I guess that's why kids have parents, to teach them all these things. But maybe I have kids so they can also teach me things.

A couple weeks ago, sitting next to the beautiful Gualala River, my sweet girl and I had a few minutes while the boys were in the raft. I don't remember what we were talking about but I know we were both enjoying ourselves. She said, "Mom, I want to be right sometimes." That pierced me through the heart. While it was sort of a "cute" thing to say, I felt awful. I've been thinking these past few weeks about how to empower my children. How can I help them feel confident and full of self-esteem, and not let them feel like their "always right" mom keeps reminding them of their mistakes? How can I relieve them of their worry?

I want my kids to know that they are perfect just how they are. I was told by a few people as a pre-teen that I was "stuck up." That consumed my thoughts so often, and I constantly worried if how I was acting or if what I was saying was "stuck up." It bothered me for years and I don't think I was ever able to develop true confidence during those hard and awkward years. If I label Emma as "bossy," she may feel like that is who she is and will never get past that. If Tyler hears (or even overhears) that he is a momma's boy (hypothetically...), I worry that he'll either feel like he's been labeled and give in to being just that, or rebel and go the opposite (no!) way. I want them to be right sometimes. I want them to be wrong sometimes. I want them to learn from their little mistakes, but mostly I want them to be who they are. I LOVE who they are. I love that Emma is so caring and sensitive; I love that if she hurts someone's feelings SHE will be the one to run to me, in tears, because she feels so bad and has such a compassionate heart. So what if she's bossy sometimes? And I love that Tyler loves me with all his heart, even if all I want some evenings is for him to let his dad put him to bed. And, come on, is it really accomplishing anything when I pull the I told you so crap after he has an accident?

I hope to be able to acknowledge when I am wrong, and when they are right. How much stronger, more confident people they'll be be if they feel empowered now! I know this will take me a long time, but just so you know what's in my head... I've got great empowering plans for the summer!

7 comments:

hales said...

Those kids picked a great family to go to -- that was something right. And they always want to call their grandma on the phone or webcam -- right again. I don't get it . . . Emma and Tyler are PERFECT. (And I'm still on Emma's side for pounding that kid for bullying her brother.)

Mark and Kim said...

What a good lesson to learn! I'm trying to not be always right with Mark so I'll have to remember that when I have kids too!

Melanie said...

I think you are definitely on to something. Growing up I felt that my mom was always right- it was her way, or no way and it was stifling at times. Sometimes kids need to see that their parents are NOT perfect and that it's okay to not be perfect all the time. That way when they make mistakes, they'll know it's okay too.

Lisa R.D. said...

What a thought provoking post... I'm going to do some more thinking, and some more saying, "You're right" to my kids. Thanks!

Janene said...

sometimes I play dumb so my kids will be right about something. I just love the look on Zach's face when he thinks he knows something that I don't.

Thanks for the reminder..I'm going to let him 'be right' about something tomorrow, because whenever I scold him (like you said after the fact) and in a condescending way, I can't help but think I'm putting a chink in his self esteem.

The Howard Bolton Family said...

Thanks for the thought provoking post. I try to allow my children the opportunity to be right. I kind of smirk when they figure that they are right and they love it when they are (especially my boys).

Braden said...

i love to be right! but when i was younger it wasn't my parents that made me feel inferior or dumb, it was my other siblings. and as for "labeling" you children, i believe avoiding the whole labeling thing. i'm a momma's boy and i always have been! however, it's not how i define myself. they will, over time, find other words to define themselves (like "empowered" or "a leader" instead of "bossy"). love you lots, and i know i'm not a parent...i'm just trying to help.