Sunday, May 24, 2009

Camping

Tyler had a weekend of discovery. He has a new found love of "peen pom" (ping pong) and he played it - with or without a ball - for hours on end. Mosquitos have a new found love of his blood - I knew his cuteness would cause pain someday.



Emma had a weekend of firsts. She had her first kiss - a banana slug - and when I asked her in disgust why she did that, she said, "They told me to." I didn't realize the whole jump off a cliff talk had to come so soon. She also hit someone for the first time this weekend. As we saw her holding a boy in a headlock, pounding him, we screamed and ran to save that poor little boy. She went promptly to bed (though we had to laugh at how silly that boy might feel at being beat by a girl) and we later discovered that snotty kid had punched Tyler. Yeah, I would have pounded the kid too. She also wore her first wetsuit and looked pretty cute if I do say so myself.


Spencer and I had a weekend full of fighting against nature. There is nothing like having raccoons come after you {ok, slight exaggeration} and not leave you alone. There is nothing funnier than watching your husband chase them up tree after tree, then throw {and miss} rocks at them in the pitch black. There is nothing sillier than hearing him making "scary" sounds to try to freak them out. My throat hurts from laughing so hard. We also had bluejays. Oh, did we have bluejays. One even landed on Spencer's head. Every morning at 5 a.m. the other birds would start making crazy noises. Real fun.

Oh, to be the first campers of the season - all alone - in the campground... I think I prefer crowds.

Here is our trip in numbers:
2 - how many banana slugs Emma kissed (ok, she only kissed one and pretended to kiss another).
31 - how many bug bites we had between the four of us. Not too bad...until you realize that Tyler had 19 of them. All on his face.
3,000 - the minimum number of mosquitos we saw
2 (maybe 3?) - raccoons who teased Spencer
3 - nights we we camped. And froze.
89 - rocks thrown into the river.
12 - how many times Spencer took the kids down the river in our raft.
6 - meals I didn't have to cook! Spencer took care of all of it and it was wonderful.

124 - Emails I came home to. Come on people!
76 - new blog posts to read. My google reader is tired. So are my eyes.
134 - pictures I took. About 10 of them are actually good.
6 - loads of laundry, all of which still smells like the campfire.
4 - "cool" rocks that ended up going through the laundry cycle, making lots of noise in the dryer.
11- hours we slept last night, home in our own beds.

Mostly, it was good to get away from our house for a few days and be with some of our best friends. It's all about making memories...gotta keep telling myself that.

13 comments:

Misty said...

that's awesome. what a good big sister - pounding kids that hit her little brother! she should get a reward for that! =)

Stefanie said...

Sounds like a great trip! I'm sure your kids will talk about how much fun they had on this trip for the rest of their lives. Oh and if you would have just toss a bog of throw-up of those raccoons they would have left you alone for sure (that's what Ryan did last night. by accident of course)

hales said...

Go Emma! But about that banana slug . . . . we need to talk.

breanna said...

and that's why i don't go camping! the smell of campfire alone is enough to keep me away! emma is obviously doing a "good job" as a big sister...watch out boys! maybe word will spread about this incident and she won't have to use her skills again! :)

Camille said...

Super fun! Makes me want to go, well, parts of it make me want to go. The other parts make me want to go rent a cabin and pretend to camp!

Shelly and Scott said...

Trust me all these efforts of camping will be some of your best stories some day. We use to go camping a lot when the children were younger. We all loved it. Not easy to do, lots of work, but sooo worth it. I got a good laugh out of your list of things in numbers. Our daughter Amber use to be eaten alive by bugs. Long sleeves and off do help. Love your blog, I found it through Ashley Carter Halsey.
Your family is adorable, was sad to hear of your babies passing. I'm glad someone surprised you with the flowers, Tulips are great. I love the fact you can plant them and they come back each year and surprise you after the winter.
Much love to you and your family.
Shelly Carter

Rachel said...

Wow...your daughter kissed a slug and punched a boy to protect her brother! Emma must have a great personality. That's so funny! I don't blame her either for hitting that boy.

I'm glad you guys had such a good time camping!

The Howard Bolton Family said...

Hahaha! You make me laugh. I can just picture Spencer and the raccoons. The banana slug, well, I am trying to not picture the kiss--gross!

Gary and Michelle said...

I think it's great Emma has no fear. That will take her far in life.

Amy said...

Hey Cheri! I remember you for sure. We live in Berkeley. My husband just finished his second year of podiatry school. Where do you live?

Janene said...

Look how grown up Emma looks! I can't believe it.

Ok, you can ask Peter how freaked out I would be if a bird landed on my head.

Looks like so much fun, but for some reason it's making me want to stay home and have Peter just take the boys camping without me.

little mrs w said...

Hahah this was great.
I love how many rocks kids collect... I was one of those kids that thought every rock was special. I sometimes find rocks in my old things still.

Salcido said...

you're such a good writer! the campfire/rocks in the dryer thing must be universal!