Thursday, May 7, 2009

Some things never change

When I was growing up my parents remodeled our house. Twice. The second remodel was extra significant and took them years; my parents did it themselves in their "spare time."

I was basically useless in terms of the remodel. In fact, I can't think of one single thing I contributed. Oh wait - I can remember one thing. I swept up all the nails and dirt once. Maybe more than once? Pitiful. In my defense, I was a senior in high school...need I say more? (Dad, tell me you can think of at least one more thing please!)

I've done some work in our new house, mostly painting and decorating. Girl stuff. Most of the work has been done by Spencer. But this time, I'm contributing by taking pictures to document it. That's something, right? Granted, it doesn't need much, mostly just some TLC.





But alas, I think we got in over our heads just slightly. Here's Spencer and our lifesaver/helper Kevin chain-sawing the roots of the tree from our front yard. Check out all that smoke! I don't know what kind of tree this was but gosh golly, it must have been a beast! The genius who had the house before us removed the tree. Well, he removed the part above ground. The small part. And now I feel like we're either living in the movie "Holes" or near a bomb site. The roots take up a third of our (large) lawn. And if we want grass to grow in that spot, they've gotta come out. I'm thinking the word stumpgrinder will soon be part of our vocabulary.

I guess the good news is that Spencer got to feel like a man and use a chainsaw for an entire 4 hours. And, we have firewood for life! Homeownership is great! And me? I'm happy to watch and take pictures. And sweep, if needed. Some things never change. (Seriously, doesn't he look so manly holding that chainsaw?)

6 comments:

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

Nice work!! What is it with guys and using a chain saw?

Dad said...

I remember you helping me raise the walls when we started framing the upstairs. Good memories. You were great to put up with it while you were going to school, seminary, and working. Remember the dust? Then we moved your bedroom into the laundry room where you shared a double bed with you little sister. You were so good about it.

hales said...

After you get the stump out and before filling it back up with dirt . . . fill it with water and invite the youth over for a mud dance.

We're in the midst of painting - again - and so a chain saw sounds like so much more fun.

Cheri said...

Mom, I have tons of extra paint (3 colors) and I'd love to come paint your house and contribute a little more than last time. :)

Carly said...

Oh yeah, I remember sharing the laundry room with you! Haha. Your kids have got to be loving how interesting the front lawn is right now.

Natalie N said...

Go Spencer! Getting the stump and roots out is always the worst part! Hope things are better now.