Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The thin line between Bored and Busy

THANK YOU for all the baby name suggestions, first of all. Holy cow - I'm feeling even more overwhelmed now! I still think I'll sit on any ideas for another 2 months until it's REALLY crunch time, so as not to stress myself out. Seriously, such fun things in life shouldn't cause so much anxiety at the same time!


I think I've always been a homebody. Growing up, I liked to be home. Even if I was just reading or doing nothing in my room, I like the comfort of being at home. I'm the same way now; even after a fun vacation, I love the idea of getting home, no matter where "home" might be that year. :) Spencer's mom claims he was the same way (and they were surprised he wanted to get far away after BYU graduation; this is clearly not the Spencer I know). Emma came along...Miss Adventure. She liked to be gone and be busy, which is hard with just one child and not a lot of money or friends. When she was little (2 years old and younger), we would go "out" two or maybe three days a week. Grocery stores were adventurous enough for her then, luckily. And adventurous enough for me too, with a toddler and a grumpy baby in tow.

When Tyler got a little bigger, I was the one wanting to be out and about, just to pass the time. But now he is a homebody. We go to the park and after 20 minutes he asks to go home. We go to the beach and he asks to go home....and all the while, Emma always wants to stay longer. He likes to be here, where he is comfortable and everything is familiar. I can't really blame him. But then that often crosses the fine line into boredom (for me). It's hard to find that happy medium. I'm trying to cram things in before school starts for Emma and then things get a lot more crazy, when I know I'll be wanting to stay home a lot more than I do now.

I guess it's a compromise, just like everything else.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe Emma is going to school!!! She is growing up too fast!

Natalie N said...

Ha ha! Tyler was cracking me up when we were at the park with you guys the other day. Let's just hope he keeps his home-body-ness. It will be worth it when he's a teenager, right? :)

Jamie said...

Its funny that I've never really thought about it before but that really clears some things up with a few of my children. A couple are on the go and the others like to sit around at home. I think I'm kind of in the middle. Great thing to think about--thanks.