Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Suggestions

I guess it bugs some people that I don't have a name picked out for my baby yet. I'm ok waiting to decide until a few weeks (or days) before, when it's crunch time. Spencer doesn't really have any suggestions or opinions at the moment, so we don't talk about it.

We have this darling girl in our ward with a mental handicap. She is so sweet and so much fun to be around. In fact, she plans everyone's baby showers because she's quite the party planner. Today at the park, she asked me a few different times what I was naming the baby. "I don't know" wasn't a good enough answer, so she started suggesting names. Phoebe? No. Monica? No. Rachel? No. (Do you see a pattern here?) I asked her what her favorite TV show is. :) OK, how about Elizabeth? No. In complete frustration, she gave up on me. As much as picking a name is a big deal, I'm not as worried about it as some people think I should be.

Spencer was dead-set on Emma's name. There was no discussion. She was just Emma. Easy enough. I was dead-set on Tyler's name. No discussion (it was THE only boy's name I liked, so that made it easy).

So, how do I pick a name? I don't have a name book and really don't want to buy something I'll use once. That seems like a waste of money. I don't want to use Top 50 names lists or anything like that because I don't want my choices to only include the most popular. Emma suggests a new name every day but her latest was Katrina; after the hurricane 3 years ago, it carries a negative connotation, no? I'm also not the type to pick out a name when I see what the baby looks like (a baby looks like whatever name you want it to look like, people). I just would like a few good ideas for names to start throwing around. We are, after all, in the last trimester.

P.S. Don't tell me to look in the scriptures; I'm not that desperate.

19 comments:

Jamie said...

Why not pick out a name at the hospital, call everyone and tell them the name finally and then change it the next day. That's what we did with number four. Names are so hard for me. I'm with you on the top 50 lists and the scriptures--never been a source of inspiration where names are concerned. I've also never been able to look at a child and say, "yes, that's an Ebeneizer all right." Good luck!

little mrs w said...

Jane! :] haha

I'm more into really interesting names or just really uncommon but nice names still.

I also really like the name Ava or Eva pronounced like Ava.

hales said...

What -- "Tawny" isn't on the table?? I'll have to get Emma on my side . . . .

Kim said...

My personal favorite is Savanna.

If you get REALLY desperate (or just want a good laugh), check out this site:
http://wesclark.com/ubn/

[ubn stands for Utah Baby Names]

Natalie N said...

Jane is a cute idea! (Maybe I'm biased b/c that's Annie's middle name.) We felt the same way as you and Spencer when I was pregnant with #3. I checked out some baby naming books from the library and it got the wheels turning for us. We were able to take a list of our top 6-8 names to the hospital. Crunch time for me is when the birth certificate lady keeps knocking on my recovery room door!
Good luck with your decision!

Nau Willis said...

I LOVe emma it reminds me of the Jane Austen story...Keeping in the spirit of Jane Austen I will go with
-Elizabeth- call her lizzy
-Jane- (that was lizzys sister)
-lydia (other sister to lizzy)
-Mary (Other sister to lizzy)
-Charlotte (lizzys best friend)you could nickname her chalie
-Georgiana (Mr. DArcys sister)
-Anne (Mr. Darcys cousin)
ok thats enough can you tell thats my favorite movie? lol...

Crystal said...

I tend to plan my life years in advance. I had my entire prom planned by the age of 5, so here are some of my top names that I love.

Brooke, Lacey, Carly, Tara

Hope that helps some! I also have Emma on my list, but you've already used that one! Or you could always name her after her would-be favorite babysitter, Crystal, or Dawn if you prefer my middle name.

Valasi Satini said...

I have the perfect name...how about Renesmee. LOL.

Sorry Cheri I don't really have any names that I can think of. Well we've always had boys and so we've always had a boy name. The only girl name that we like is Lauren and we are actually using it for this one if its a girl for sure!! :) So you can use it too if you would like! Hey how about naming her Carly after your sister! I've always thought that was a really cute name!!

When are you due anyway?!

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

We had the same lovely time when Alyssa was born and everyone bugged me for names. We didn't decide on a name until 8 pm the day she was born. I think girls names are hard, or I guess harder to me since I knew a boy for us would be James since J.R. is a stinker and goes by initials--what's up with that?!

Anonymous said...

Since Carly was suggested twice, I think it's the winner and you should go with that! :-)

The Howard Bolton Family said...

Howard and I always disagreed on baby names. It is much harder to pick a name than to actually raise the child. I have a lot of funny stories to tell you about what our children were going to be named--I will tell you after you name your baby, "Phoebe Rachel Monica Wirthlin."

Braden said...

i like:
Anna, Abby, Joan, Joann, Jane, Melody, Melanie, Rebekkah (the Hebrew way), Stella, Jacqueline, Elena, Brynne, Carrie (Cari or Kari), Jennafre (french, or Jennafer--welsh), Gwendolyn (Gwen), Liliana (Lily), or Lorelle.
can you tell i've given this much thought??

Marné said...

Bowen didn't have a name until the day after he was born, so all I can say is, good luck!!!

The Howard Bolton Family said...

I think this blog has generated more responses than any that I have ever read. All my children's names were chosen for them after they were born. Only Siovhan has the name that her father chose for her before she was born. Funny. When they were born, they didn't resemble any of the names we had been thinking of: Schyler, Tristian, Ali....

Cheri said...

Braden - I've never known a teenage boy with as many GIRL names on his "list" as you. You'll make your wife happy (or incredibly crazy) someday.

Melanie, everyone has an opinion. Thank goodness, because I've gotten lots of good ideas. Now to stick them somewhere when I see the names and run through them in my head...

breanna said...

i like "old lady" girl names...maybe name her after a great grandmother. if none of those are winners then check the popular names from 100 years ago. emma is on that list, and so is one of the names we like if we have another girl! good luck! naming is SO HARD!

Janene said...

we always looked online for ideas. Maybe they have these books at the library, then you don't have to buy it! :o)

little mrs w said...

uhhh
I'm basically really happy with how many people suggested my name.... I think you should really help bring back the Jane population... it's a lonely "old era" world. haha.
:]

little mrs w said...

so have you decided on a name yet?