Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Positive Thinking

I must have had some pretty positive thoughts (ha), and a certain amount of luck, because I don't know how I otherwise managed to grow a sprawling garden my very first time. As it spreads over even more of the lawn on a daily basis, I just have to laugh. It might even be growing faster than I am. There are about 100 green almost-tomatoes (and these two ripe ones - yum):

Here's a shot of about half the garden (I hate those red flowers - not my doing). I think I have pumpkins and spaghetti squash in here. Can't remember. And corn.

And a zucchini. There are two more nearly ready to be picked (I think?). Now, what do I DO with the zucchini? And please don't say zucchini bread - blech. (Please tell me I didn't just sound like a loser and got it wrong; this IS a zucchini, right?)

8 comments:

hales said...

Zucchini is great sliced up with other veggies, onions and garlic. Stir fry them in evoo. And you don't even have to peel them first.
You can also blanch them and put them in the freezer for this winter when you're not so sick of zucchini.

Natalie N said...

Good for you guys! I'm jealous that you have a garden. Congrats on all of your harvest!

Cheri said...

What is evoo? And what is "blanch?"

Anonymous said...

That grew so fast!! None of that was there when I was visiting!

Braden said...

evoo=extra virgin olive oil
blanch=boiling quickly then chilling in ice water
you can cut them up and use them in a stuffed tomato dish...
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/mexican-stuffed-tomatoes-recipe/index.html
and substitute the tomatoes with peppers. YUM!

Cheri said...

Braden - are you now a chef-in-training???

Janene said...

I have a recipe for Zuchinni brownies, if you want your kids to eat them! It turns out more like cake, and I wasn't a huge fan, but the kids would probably like.

Lisa R.D. said...

We just tried marinating zucchini (cut in quarters, long-ways if it's a fairly small one) and grilling it. It was pretty tasty. I agree with the comment about stir-frying them too--yummy!