Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The beach in March

Don't be deceived--it wasn't as warm as it looked (probably 65 degrees). My kids are insane and had to put on their swimsuits and get in the water. Behind the camera was me...in pants and a sweatshirt, shivering.

We headed to Rio del Mar yesterday with some friends from church and it was great fun. While Tyler and his friend ran from waves, I watched from a safe distance. As Tyler got more and more brave, and went further into the water, I took off my sandals and put them aside, and also put my camera aside, ready to run and fish him out at the first sign of a knockover. Sure enough, a huge wave (well, huge to a 2-year old) knocked him flat on his back. I ran and grabbed him quickly, but not before he screamed at the terror and at the temperature of that frigid water! I wasn't thrilled with my pants getting wet, but that's life. I only wished I could have somehow taken a picture before rescuing him. (Is that terrible? It's all about a good picture!) Back on the dry sand, Emma was hysterically BAWLING, thinking Tyler was in some kind of real danger. It's sweet to see her motherliness and protectiveness for her little brother. After that incident, both of them gladly played in the sand for a couple of hours, and I happily took my eyes off the ocean.
Do I need to say how much I love where we live? We spent Easter in Utah, which was a lot of fun. But it's still brown (and white!) there. As we flew home and I saw the bright, vibrant green colors as we prepared to land, I was so glad to be home. Spencer and I talked about how Utah isn't "home" to him anymore (I don't know if it was ever "home" to me; I was only there 4 years). Now, if we can find a way to afford to buy something more than a 1-room shack here, we'll call this home forever!

2 comments:

hales said...

Beach bums. Yes!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, good pictures!! I'm already missing them again....