Saturday, August 8, 2009

the consequences of family videos

I must say that I have an extraordinary husband.

Aside from that...I felt a lot of things come full circle this week. My daughter is very much into watching old family videos (DVDs) of me as a child. She knows so much about me. Both kids have seen me run races, boogie board, go on vacations, act in roadshows (I use the term "act" loosely), etc. They recognize when I should be utterly embarrassed (which I am) on video.

This week they got to do many of those things themselves. We flew to visit my parents while Spencer worked his tail off at Disney World (really, he did!). On the first day, my dad took the kids boogie-boarding. The next day we did it all again. I loved seeing Tyler roll around, get buried by waves, and then exclaim, "I saved myself!" My dad even spoiled them and let them buy candy at the store near the beach. And Tyler had his first Snickers bar ever. If he's like me, his life will never be the same again.
Photobucket
Photobucket

We got to pay a visit to the Dodger game on Mormon night, which I did on several occasions as a child. However, this time we all got spoiled and had box suite (yes! our own room!) with free dinner (wow, "dinner" is such an understatement) included. As my mom so simply put it, "I can never watch a game like a regular person again!"
Photobucket
Photobucket

One of the things I hated most as a child was having to go running. I ran lots of 5k's and 10k's as a kid, and my parents have saved all our old racing numbers. One morning we took the kids (per their request) over to the track, pinned numbers on their shirts, and let them loose. Emma liked it about as much as I did 20 years ago (love that girl!) but Tyler really enjoyed himself. In fact, my favorite part was watching him sprint, with a grin on his face, past all the sloooowww middle-aged women. No, I take that back. My favorite part was watching the faces of those he was passing - being passed up by a little 3-almost-4-year old! Awesome. He ran a mile and a quarter. Emma had to be bribed to run a mile. I ran a lap and couldn't be bribed to go further (I was on vacation after all!). [love that lady's face]
Photobucket

Next on the "tradition" list was Newport Beach. It was just fantastic to be there this week. The beach is gorgeous, the jetties supply endless treasure-hunting fun, and I guess it's fun to ride the merry go round and ferris wheel (though I sorta wanted to puke). We even visited the shell shop where I used to love to spend my money. I let the kids spend a few dollars each. That's one tradition I want to remember better--Newport Beach--and the beach house tradition is one I'd love to keep up with my kids...if we can ever afford it.
Photobucket

Moral of the story: Let your kids watch your family videos, and then do it all over again...with them. It would have been icing on the cake if Spencer could have been here. He was helping put on a global intern training for his firm...and playing with Mickey and Donald. Like I said, he's pretty great to let us have so much fun without him. We are so lucky.

And me...I'm trying to carefully stack all the little details in my memory; things like Emma developing a love (obsession?) for Uncrustables, like the charming and thought-provoking book I read this week (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society) that really makes me want to be a writer, like how my kids exclaimed they were "on top of the world!" not only on the airplane but also on the ferris wheel, like Tyler getting to blow out a candle on a piece of cake a couple different times, just for the heck of it, like how my dad came to the beach on his lunch breaks so my mom and I could get a break and he could take over in the water with the kids, and like how Spencer's phone calls were few and far between but were still extra special, especially when the kids got to talk. I know just how much absence makes the heart grow fonder and can't wait to see him at the airport.
Photobucket

12 comments:

Crystal said...

Your kids are HUGE! And I'm so jealous that Spencer got to go to Disney. PricewaterhouseCoopers used to take all the interns to Disney at the end of the summer, but they got rid of it this year. Figures.

GHFamily said...

I can say this because I knew you as a child... Emma looks so much like you, it's like having de ja vu looking at pictures of her.

What a great week!

HM

Cheri said...

Crystal,
CHANGE FIRMS! :)

Carly said...

This post brought back great memories. :) Tyler totally looks like he has a 6-pack in that last picture! Haha.

The Reichmans said...

I love your beach pictures-I am headed out to manhattan beach on Tues and can't wait to boogie board:) It looks like your kids had such a great time reveling in all of your favorite childhood activities. You are such a great mom and it looks like your kids have great grandparents as well. Remember when I came to Newport with you-that feels like a million years ago. I also loved the potato peel book-I can't remember the entire name. another really good one is hunger games.

Natalie N said...

Great post, Cheri! You got some awesome pictures, as always!! Sounds like you had a wonderful visit down south. What great memories for your kids to treasure--always! We miss you guys.

Lisa R.D. said...

What a fun post with great pictures and thoughtful prose to go along with them. I can't wait to read that book (it's next in my queue).

Janene said...

i can't believe Tyler ran that far! He is on his way, man. This makes me want a vacation, BAD.

That book is on my list to read. Whether or not I can talk our neighborhood book club into it, I've heard way too many good things to skip it.

Laura H. said...

Cute cute cute - as always. And I love the running story. I can't believe he ran that far! We really are planning on coming out to visit you sometime in the next year-ish, especially since my sister and soon my brother are out your way.

Misty said...

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!!

Jamie said...

No way, his first snickers bar? The kid is 4 after all. I doubt any of my kids got passed age two without a snickers, maybe it was that I had to share with them after they caught me sneaking one.

The Howard Bolton Family said...

What a fantastic vacation! I can't believe how grown-up your children are getting. The old, "I remember when..." cliches fit my thoughts.

I miss you all. I hope that you have a great rest of the summer (all of four days).