Thursday, August 20, 2009

Lurkers

Do you blog-lurk? I sure do. Spencer likes to tell me I "blog-stalk," but I don't like that word as I don't like to think of myself as any type of stalker.

There are six or seven people whose blogs I "lurk" on. I don't know if any of them knows I even check their blogs. The first girl I know quite a bit about. I know she's an amazing scrapbooker and photographer. She's a darling mother of 3 who is incredibly talented in so many different areas, all areas I am interested in. I guess that's more like "blog-envying."

I read a couple of blogs involving those who have had difficult tragedies involving stillborn children. I don't even know how I found some of them. A couple know of me but the majority don't. It's a little bit of a support group, and they often have great ideas of things that apply directly to me. So, instead of "blog stalking," I think I'll call this "blog-supporting." Much better.

There are another two blogs I read because the bloggers are incredible writers. They can turn ordinary - or even boring - situations into something hilarious, interesting, or insightful. I like their perspectives and how they make me feel happy. This could be called "blog-pick-me-up'ing."

Do you lurk? (I don't mean reading a famous blog like PW or Hostess.) What would make you de-lurk? I often wonder if I should de-lurk on one or two of these but have a hard time finding a good reason to do so. Are comments from lurkers ever un-welcome?

P.S. What constitutes a lurker?

14 comments:

GHFamily said...

Hmm.. what clever perspectives you give about aspects of blogging.

I blog lurk to keep up with people I don't get to see often.. so I suppose you can call that blog-keepinguper...

siovhan said...

Dude, I totally lurk.
A lot.

Like on your blog--but I think I'm kinda justified seeing as I actually know you.

But I lurk a lot with people I know, or have lost contact with, or hysterical people whose writing I love.

Laura H. said...

I don't think people mind being "lurked" on. I love getting comments from people I didn't know were keeping up on me. It was also interesting how many people came out of the woodwork when a made a controversial "anti-'seriously so blessed' post." :) My point - keep lurking! I sure will.

April said...

I love the word, "lurk". I think its great because sometimes I leave a comment and sometimes I don't. I think you are one of those women that people "lurk" on because you have such an amazing attitude with all you've been through and seem to have such a good head on your shoulders and a great mother as well.

hales said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie N said...

Ha ha! Your definitions are much better sounding than Spencer's. :) You guys are funny!

The John Hollingshaus Family said...

I totally blog lurk! Mostly on people's who take amazing pics so I can get some good ideas.

Kristina and Tyson said...

Spencer always has something to say about something...I like to lurk too, but I agree with all of your other names...

Lisa R.D. said...

I am definitely a lurker... every once in awhile I have a desire to leave a comment, but when I do I feel like I have to explain who I am and how I came to find their blog. One blog that I lurked for months turned out to be a good friend of my brother and sister in law back east... and I only figured it out when I finally decided to leave a comment and found that my sister in law had already left a comment. It was pretty funny.

So I want to know which blogs have the great writing because I want to lurk too (if you send me yours I'll send you mine). :)

hales said...

I figure blogs are out there to BE found. Otherwise, why have one? And I totally don't get the "I'm going private" blogs. I guess that's why Seriously So Blessed makes fun of it.

breanna said...

yep, i'm a lurker too, and i love it!;)

Me said...

I've been lurking your blog for awhile now. We have mutual friends and found your blog on their rolls.

Hope you don't mind. :)

First it started as a "blog-pick-me-up" but is now more "blog-supporting".

Jen said...

When I get time, I blog lurk--but the bad thing is that my 8 year old loves to blog lurk. She dosen't ask me to play computer games anymore, it's "I can go blogging?" She even leaves comments, but I have taught her to sign her own name.

So....it is totally normal and fine to blog lurk....stalking is a little too strong of a word.

Kim Walker said...

I'm a blog watcher. I don't know you very well, but I've known Spencer pretty well and it's fun to see you guys and your kids and the funny things they say! I do keep up with your blog, though you may not know it=)