Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Our humble abode

I am finally almost finished painting; one room remains, and I plan to tackle it tomorrow (Emma's room). My walls are still almost entirelybare. As soon as the painting is totally done I will decide where to put things. I'm excited to get decorating with pictures, vinyl, etc. (Do I use "totally" too much?)


This is what our bedroom used to look like. Nice...but kinda boring. White walls.


Here is our bedroom now. We painted this pretty quickly on the first day we took ownership, thanks to some wonderful YSA's who scrambled over once they heard we were official and could go crazy. I love the blue and how it looks with our furniture - it might be my favorite room in the house.


Here is our laundry room, from the other side (from a different angle than the picture I posted last week). I call it a laundry room, but it's really quite big and I use it as an office/den/craft room as well. It's big enough for a couch, a desk, and the computer (as well as all my craft supplies), in addition to the washer/dryer. I love the sunny yellow color.
Our sweet neighbor painted this room by herself. Well, she did have the help of Emma and Tyler. She painted squares on the wall and had the kids fill those in. They did a great job. I don't know if they were a help or a hinderance. Actually, I do know.



Here is a picture of the cream/tan color we used in our living room/hallway, with the burgundy accent wall. Can't wait to decorate that wall! I love how it looks - it's what you see right as you walk into our house. (Notice the nice baseboards - props to Spencer and our two friends!)

As you can tell, we got pretty lucky with the colors we chose. I was happy with all of them. Until last night, that is. We had picked a color that we were sure we would love. I wanted something with a green tint, but this was way too blue. It looked like play-doh. Or blue raspberry bubble yum. Or... I don't know what else. Toothpaste? I was incredibly disappointed. I ran to the hardware store at 9 pm and got a color - a very light green with hints of yellow - instead. I LOVE the new color. So here's a shot of the ugly blue being quickly covered up by the green.


Here is what this part of my kitchen looked like before we did any work. (I know, we had no furniture in yet, but ALL WALLS IN THIS HOUSE WERE WHITE.)


And here is what it (breakfast nook section) looks like now. Do you love it as much as I do?
I love it so much, in fact, that I bought the paint color one shade lighter to use in Emma's room. I'm pretty sure it will look fantastic. (It looks more tan in these pictures, but it's definitely a light green.) By the way, that cute breakfast nook set is my new favorite piece of furniture. Craigslist baby! It's wonderful to have another place for the kids to sit (for coloring, etc.) aside from our nice dining table.

Coming in a couple weeks - a new front door. I'll also post a couple pictures once I have completed my decorating. I'm so glad the inside is almost done! The outside is a completely different story...
(Project for sometime in the next two years - a kitchen re-do.)

16 comments:

hales said...

Dear Martha Stewart -- Wow -- I love what you've done with the place. Everything looks great.

Mark and Kim said...

How fun! I'm so jealous you are done buying the house and now almost done finishing it up! I still don't see the light at the end of the tunnel...!

The Rich Family said...

I am so impressed!! It looks great. I can't wait to come and visit.
Maybe this summer????

Cheri said...

Yes, hopefully this will entice some of you to COME VISIT US! :)

Nau Willis said...

congrats on your new place! it looks fabulous!!!

Rachel said...

Great job! I'm really impressed with how quickly you've gotten everything done. We moved all the time growing up and we were lucky if anything got painted in the few YEARS we lived in each house. I can't wait to see the rest of your decorating!

Sarah said...

Cheri - how fun to have your own house to decorate! It looks wonderful. I can't wait to see it in person. Love the red accent wall!!!

Kim said...

Everything looks fabulous! You've done a great job. Someday when we get a house to decorate, I'll have to consult with "the master decorator"! :)

Janene said...

Cheri -- it all looks fantastic! Nice work, I'm so happy for you.

Laura H. said...

Totally awesome. Laura called to tell me I had to check your blog and I see why. Can't wait to visit.

Jana said...

how exciting! i'm jealous of all of your wall painting!

Robert and Megan Elliott said...

What a BEAUTIFUL home. I LOVE your style/colors. Congratulations. I know who I will call when we get another home.

Natalie N said...

My goodness! How do I pick a favorite?! I'm in love with the breakfast nook, and the burgundy accent wall is beautiful! You've done so great with these projects. I'm totally impressed! :)

Jamie said...

I love the bedroom color. In fact it might be an exact match to the color we painted our MA house bedroom.

Having the kids paint squares--what a clever idea!

Good luck on the rest!

Kristina and Tyson said...

Wow Cheri! Way to go! It does look awesome and I do love it just like you do...and I don't think you are doing too much...but then again, I would do it that way too! Can't wait to see all the finished projects!

The Howard Bolton Family said...

I love your home. I want new paint, new carpet, new things...I think I am jealous! Beautiful home! Congratulations!