Friday, February 27, 2009

Money money money...

Do you budget? Do you have a budget? These are being called tough economic times (not that you'd know it in looking at gov't spending). Anyhow, I love tracking our money - I love making a game of how much I can save each month. I used to be a real dinosaur by writing how much I'd spend on my calendar (on the appropriate day), and what I spent it on, and then would add it up at the end of the month and put it into my little spreadsheet. Even when we got Quicken, I still punched numbers into my spreadsheet. Easy peasy. Quicken is fun but oh so complicated for my purposes.
By the way, I do NOT do couponing. That, to me, takes way too much time. Who wants to spend 2 hours to save $1.79?? I do use coupons occasionally, but the couponing obsession is just beyond me.

I'm still a slight dinosaur with my spreadsheet, but I have found some ways to make it easier and more efficient:

  • Have you heard of Google Docs? You can turn any document into a "Google Doc" and access it from anywhere where you have email. Oh boy was I excited when I learned about this!! Why is this so great to keep as a Google Doc? I can open it from anywhere; Spencer can also open the it from wherever he can get email and add in what he has spent. Efficient. Easy. I love it.
  • As I said, it's a sort of game for me to see how much I can save. I no longer write estimated outflows on the calendar (by memory) and add it up at the end of the month. How does that serve its purpose in terms of being a budget? By the end of the month, I could easily overspend if I don't know how much I have left in each category.
  • Want to know how my budget is broken down? The number at the top is our NET income (after tithing, taxes, medical, dental, etc.) - it's what we take home. I have categories for: rent and utilities (soon to be MORTGAGE!), insurance, doctor visits, groceries, gas, clothing, cable/internet/phone, car maintenance and repairs, food storage, clothing, miscellaneous, and entertainment. Most important is our category for savings. Since I work a litle bit from home, I add in what I have made at the end of the month. We have saved thousands over the last two months.
  • My grocery budget for the month is $350. We eat really well, but I find that number hard to stick to. I'd love to know what your grocery budgets are each month. I've asked around and think that $350 is on the low end of what others spend. For February I am up to $352 (eek) and obviously won't go shopping until Monday when March finally rolls around. My system is perfect for me, and I've even given it to others as a model. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but it works.
  • P.S. Our entertainment budget is only $75 a month. We go out to eat MAYBE once every 2-3 months. We don't go out much because I just can't justify it too easily (and because my homemade pizza is way better than what I can get at a restaurant). So, a large chunk of that $75 goes to a baby-sitter while Spencer and I do something free, like the temple.

So, do YOU budget? Do you stick to your budget? I think it's wise to have a budget, whether you are rich or not-so-rich. It's very interesting to break down your spending and to see where everything is going. And nowadays, who doesn't need frugality? If you don't budget, try it out.

Some other tricks:
--Buy your clothing in the off-season and learn when the stores have their sales. Old Navy has a huge blowout sale toward the end of every January, as well as every June/July--winter and summer sales, respectively. My kids always have at least a year of clothes, the next size up, in their closets. Two years ago I bought 3 GAP wool coats, normally $170 each, for $29.99. That October, I sold them on ebay and made about $40 each.
--If your Target has good clothes sales (I LOVE how my Target organizes clearanced clothes--by percentage discounted AND size!), and you are in need of good clothes, go on Tuesday's. Those are the days they typically mark clothes down, and you'll get the best selection. All my maternity dresses I bought in the offseason for $6.48. Most of my shirts from there cost me $3.74.
--Lastly, when you shop for paint, look for the "mis-tinted" rack. I didn't know this existed until just yesterday at Lowe's and happened upon a new gallon of paint, in a very light yellow color, for $5! That was a savings of $18.88! Just had to throw that one in there because I'm quite proud of myself... Coming soon...a light yellow laundry room!

Happy Friday.

13 comments:

hales said...

You were $2 over your food budget?? Shameful! Maybe you should have married an accountant. Oh wait . . .

Laura said...

first of all, I love this post. It has been on my mind all week and I've been quizzing everyone on their food bills. Mine's a bit higher (not much), but I'd like to blame that on having 3 boys and a husband that has a super charged metabolism. I'm working on getting it down though. I have a local friend that spends $60 a week! you should point out to your non-california friends that $350 a month on food here is AMAZING. I do follow a strict budget on everything. I use Microsoft Money...it came free with my first computer, but recently I upgraded to a new version for about $30. it allows me to import my online banking information directly into the program. Please...more tips.

The Howard Bolton Family said...

Bravo! Keep up the good work! I loved reading this post. I find grocery shopping the hardest task of my entire life. Give me dirty diapers, laundry and a mountain of dishes over grocery shopping any day.

Marné said...

we have a $350 grocery budget too.I think have yet to make it...but we are always close. It's hard! Have you tried mint.com? that's how I track our budget. I love it.

Laura said...

okay, obviously this is weighing heavily on my mind since I am posting twice. Here is a great article http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/FindDealsOnline/TakeABigBiteOutOfGroceryBills.aspx?page=1

I need to do better, but here is how I try to keep the food bill down. I am sure you do all these things.

I don't cut coupons either, unless it is for something I'd buy already. I stick to my grocery list which I build off of a monthly menu plan. I make my own yogurt (super easy) and mix in powdered milk with th store bought stuff (only works for the kids, Kevin can still taste it).

If you really want to see how you compare to others check out this US Census report on food costs. http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/tables/09s0708.pdf
It says a family of 4 (with 2 little kids) spends between $470 and $914 a month. After reading that I didn't feel so bad about being over budget, I am still spending less than the average so called "trifty" spender.

Lisa R.D. said...

Great post! We budget also and try to keep up on our finances so we stay on budget throughout the month. We spend a bit more on groceries and entertainment, and I don't usually clip coupons, unless it's ridiculous not too (dollars off of products I'd already buy or percentage off coupons at craft stores). We still need to work on our savings though--it seems that every pay increase comes with an increased need for spending (starting piano or soccer or something) but at some point I need to make saving a priority! Thanks for the good inspiration!

Cheri said...

I must clarify my anti-couponing. I clip that 40% off Michael's coupon just about every week! :)

Camille said...

K - just did my Excel spreadsheet tonight! You should check out my friends blog (off my blog) to see her couponing - it shocks me how much she saves - it's Rob & Rachel. Too much effort for me, but it's super interesting. She'll spend $4.00 and get $100 worth of stuff. Crazy!

kels said...

i think we spend between 200-250 for just the two of us on groceries!!! crazy right? But we're also trying to build up food storage right now, so that explains probably 50-100 or so of it. also, it's all about mistinted paint! Love it!

Sarah said...

I have budgeted ever since we got married almost three years ago. I took a personal finance class right before we got married and it has been such a great thing for me to have learned. My instructor had this GREAT budget book (the size of a check book) to write down each receipt. I know it's kind of detailed, but it has really helped a lot-breaking down what we spend every month. I too LOVE to do the budget - the mathematician in me I guess. And we also have a $350 budget for food...although, like the rest, it is hard to stick to.

The Reichmans said...

Very impressive and you are inspiring me to want to save more and be more disciplined. We have a spreadsheet that we use that actually sounds similar to yours and also use quicken. thanks for sharing.

Ashley Halsey said...

Check out mint.com it will make your budget recording/maintaining life so much easier!

April said...

Love your tips, seriously. So good. i am the same way on coupons. I clip the ones I need and thats about it. Our grocery budget for 4 is about the same between 350-400 depends on the month. If we have extra bills or something once month. Can't wait ot see more tips. Didn't know Tues was mark down day at Target, great.