Sunday, February 15, 2009

Lucky

We're not really into Valentine's. We do celebrate it but I have threatened Spencer with his life if he ever buys me roses on Valentine's and pays those seriously inflated prices. We've always been really low-key about it - I don't buy into the whole commercialization of love.

Well, Spencer still bought me something pretty amazing. It's been in the works for a while - our first house!! Prices are "low" and the timing is right. The best part - we've lived in the house already! That's also a downside - no one has lived there since we moved out last April and it needs some TLC. We are thrilled and will close in a few weeks. I'm also having mixed feelings about moving out of this house. It's nothing too special and is just a rental but it's also where I've had some of my most sad but peaceful and calming moments. Not quite sure yet if I'm more happy to escape this house once and for all, or if I'm more sad about leaving a place that's become so special and sacred since the loss of Macie. Regardless, I know we were able to buy the house in large part because of our little angel.

So imagine my surprise when, after we'd done the typical We're not doing anything for Valentine's, right?, Spencer managed to surprise me. A few weeks ago I read a heartbreaking article about those who have experienced stillbirth, and this group of photographers who volunteers to come in and photograph babies who have passed away. I wish so badly I had known about this a few months ago; while I got some pictures, they are not high quality and I've spent hours trying to edit them so Macie will look better. I really feel like this is something I should be involved in when it's not so raw for me, so I've been learning about photography as much as I can. I feel like I wouldn't just be a photographer...I'd be someone who has actually been there and could (and would) cry with those poor moms and dads. So, my ever-supportive husband surprised me with a new camera. I'm so excited about it, and only wish I knew how to use it! It's a Nikon and has more buttons and features than any other electronic device I've seen. I am signing up for a photography class in April (once the new house stuff has settled down) and then I'll see what happens. In our defense, we really did need a new camera so this wasn't completely un-prudent.

I wanted to post about Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep in case someone YOU know (heaven forbid) could benefit from this someday. I wish I had known about it in October; I just contacted the hospital's representative here and she told me they just now found out about it and have started working with them. I'm glad other moms who are experiencing extreme disappointment and despair will have something beautiful and precious to remember their babies.

Spencer, thanks for buying me a house so we can stop moving (this will be #10 in 6 years!) and stay here with Macie. Thanks for the camera so I can, in the future, help others in a way I would have loved to have been helped.

Here's what part of it looks like. (Yes, we are replacing the front door.)



P.S. I started a photo blog so I have a place to put some of my pictures and scrapbook pages. I'm not even close to being "good" but I think this new hobby will be therapeutic for me.

13 comments:

Stefanie said...

First off Congratulations on the house!!! That is so exciting and I'm totally jealous :o). Second that is weird about the photography thing, we'll have to help each other out and give each other some tips when we come across them. Good luck with it.

Gary and Michelle said...

I love getting new electronic devices. Gary and I got new cell phones for Valentines and I've had a lot of fun learning to use them. I'm one of those "read the manual" kind of people. So excited to see pictures with your new camara!

Laura H. said...

I wish I had thought to mention that group in time. I had a close friend in SD whose mother volunteers for them. I'm so glad you have such a special cause to be involved in that is meaningful in so many ways. Congrats on the house!

jana beck said...

Oh my gosh congratulations - on the house and camera! you will love both, I'm sure! Tell Spencer way to go on choosing a Nikon :) Which one did you get?!

Braden said...

Wow, that's absolutely amazing. I'd never heard of that group and what an amazing goal for you! Your strength and faith leaves me speechless.

Lisa R.D. said...

I'm so excited for you--for your new home, hobby, and camera--and for the new way that you'll be able to provide service and love to other grieving parents. You will be amazing (in all of those areas!).

Kristina and Tyson said...

Hooray guys! I am so glad that you are really getting into that house! Way to go! Congrats on getting a new camera! I will be excited to see what amazing creations you can do!

Janene said...

wow! That's quite a low-key valentines day! :o) I'm a wee-bit jealous of your new camera, I would love to become a better photographer...

This all sounds like such a great opportunity for you to serve and love others. And I know you'll do great. Good luck with the move!

breanna said...

congratulations on the new purchases! which nikon do you have? i'm jealous that you are actually learning how to use yours! that i something i have yet to really do. your pictures on the other blog look so great...send me some tips! and i'm happy that you won't be moving again either! i HATE moving and you've had more moves that anyone else i know!

Jamie said...

Yay for a new house! Now that we have one we're thinking we would love to stay put for at least 20 years.

Kristin Ann said...

I just wanted wanted to tell you your family is wonderful. Tyler and Emma are two of my favorites in primary, they're always so sweet :)

Natalie N said...

WOO-HOO!! Way to go Spencer--I would have to say a house & a camera are two excellent gifts. I'm totally impressed.

And Cheri! What a beautiful way to use your gift and talent to bless others' lives. Keep up the great work!

Cathy said...

Spencer rocks. He needs to educate my husband.