Monday, September 8, 2008

The beginning of private education

I guess it is just one year of private education (until college!)...

I can't think of anything more cliche to blog about than a child's first day of pre-school. With that disclaimer, here I go. :) Actually, it was a great day for us all because Emma FINALLY got accepted into the school just on Friday afternoon (!!) and after I had to write a huge check to the school (and almost said thanks but no thanks), I realized how good this will be for her. Today proved that.

Each child is assigned a cubby and a hook (for a coat, etc.). Never mind that it's 85 degrees...Emma just had to take a coat for her hook. At the end of the day she wanted to bring her entire cubby home...never mind that it's connected to the others and to the wall. She ATE it all up and loved every second. Tyler doesn't love having ME as his new playmate, but I think he'll get used to the one-on-one time (something he's never had), and I'm sure we'll be just fine without Emma for 6 hours a week.

Now for the sad part. And I don't know if it was more disappointing for me or Emma when we found this out, but there are no flip-flops/sandals allowed! It's a sad day when you have to (sorta) give up your foot freedom, let me tell you. But she has lots of adventures ahead this year - I just know it - and I'm confident it will be worth every dollar (or hundred). Welcome to life.

Here she is this morning, posing like a little diva...

6 comments:

The Howard Bolton Family said...

None of our children's primary schools allowed flip-flops--which was a great sadness in our family. They have made up for it in High School, wearing them even in the snow.

What an adorable scrapbook page. It is good that Emma knows how to pose. She is so cute!

hales said...

So now in addition to the tuition, you also have to buy "real" shoes?? Bummer. And knowing her, is she trying to remove her shoes the minute she walks in to the classroom? Love that kid.

breanna said...

cheri, i feel like we live parallel lives! this could have been a post written by me-only with different names. although our story is worse...renee has to wear uniforms and has had to give up her entire wardrobe freedom! i hope emma loves it! renee came home today and told me that her friends changed their minds and they don't like her anymore! who knew the friend drama started in prek! seriously!? if renee had even a small portion of emma's personality she'd probably just say "oh well" and start her own group, but not so...oh well.

Anonymous said...

I'll bet she's totally the teacher's pet!! And her outfit is WAY too cute.

Trisha Paddock said...

Wow....a private preschool??? I bet she loves it! I remember looking into preschools when my oldest was starting to go and I couldn't decide which one I thought was the best. I acted as if we were applying for Harvard or Stanford! Its funny what we do for our children!!!

Cheri, she looks so adorable....she looks just like you!

BTW-I heard that your Dad is the new Stake President.....Yeah! I voted for him...well, if there were elections, he would've gotten my vote:)!!!

Janene said...

I love the hands by her chin that she does for pictures. SO darling!