Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ahh...September

Anyone who knows a corporate tax accountant understands why I LOVE the arrival of September 15th. "Tax season" (March, April) is NOTHING compared to what we go through from July-September. By "we," I do mean all of us, in addition to Spencer. I think the kids see him on Sundays and a total of 2 hours during the week. It's common for me to wake up around 2 a.m. as he's getting home and climbing into bed. Luckily, he's been able to sneak a kid in to work with him a couple times this busy season, on a Saturday here and there. Anyway, last night he got home from work in time to see the kids (!!) and help me put them to bed. It was a comfort I'd totally forgotten.

I also love September because here, summer ends sometime in mid-October, or sometimes even later. This weather can't be beat. We put up our Halloween decorations today - the few we have - and I am going to try to pull out my craftiness and make some things in Photoshop for the holiday. I also LOVE caramel apples. Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory makes my heart skip a beat (yeah, probably literally) so I tried to be Martha Stewart last night and make my own. Well, I had forgotten that electric stoves don't work great for making caramel (I guess it can't ever get hot enough) and I had a bit of a sugary/non-caramely mess. So today, still determined to accomplish the feat of the caramel apple, I succumbed to the laziness of Brach's caramels and, while they may look a little messy -- YUMMM. Who would love to have me as a visiting teacher right now? ;) That's what mine are getting tomorrow.


I also love the hype of college football. Spencer has been hinting around getting a plasma TV for a year and after seeing BYU last week, I am even starting to think their wins might look better in HD, yes? There's nothing like being at one of their games in person, but watching it on TV is pretty darn exciting too. Well, just when they win. :)

Last, I found this thing on babycenter today that estimates the costs of your baby's first year. It sets everything to the default so after I unchecked things like crib, stroller, changing table, clothes, etc., I found out this baby will cost us about $3400 in her first year. Quite interesting if you ask me. We have less than 8 weeks to go! Freaking out!

I'd love to hear what everyone else loves about September (or Fall in general)...

12 comments:

The Howard Bolton Family said...

When most people are asked what their favorite time of the year is, they say, "Spring, because of all the flowers and the end of Winter," or "Summer, because school is out and I can sleep and do whatever I want, when I want." Not me. I have ALWAYS loved the Autumn time of year. I love the crisp nights, warm days, the harvest foods, the smell of the morning, the color changing of the leaves, yeah--pretty much everything but raking.

Beautiful apples. I think I am going to have to attempt some! Nice to know that if I fail, Rocky Mountain in Wrentham is there to catch my back!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot, now I'm going to have a buy an expensive caramel apple from Rocky Mountain. Unless I learn to make my own like you did. :) Those look amazing!

Lisa R.D. said...

Wow, your apples look amazing. I make caramel apples every fall for my family and close friends in memory of Grandma Wirthlin. I always looked forward to hers, even though they were gooey and the caramel always stuck to the paper. I was NOT above sucking it off with my whole face. We changed cable providers to get HD (for sports events)... Ryan swears that it makes a huge difference, but to someone who is technologically challenged like me (and who doesn't appreciate sporting events to the fullest) all I have to say is "meh". At least it doesn't cost a whole lot more :).

Kim said...

Way to go on the apples! Those look delicious!!!

I love the fall. Maybe it's because I'm a New England girl. I love the leaves changing, the crunchy leaves in the grass and on the sidewalk, the smell, the crispness, the perfect weather. It's great. I'd much rather put on a light jacket and enjoy the coolness than sweat it out or freeze. Plus, the fall is the start of all the good holidays, with all the fun, family and food that goes along with it.

Tython said...

Fall is my favorite, too! I always wished I had a fall birthday because there is no better time of year. There is something in the air that just smells like football season, and there is so much anticipation with the holidays around the corner...so fun!

And I had no idea about Spencer's schedule. I hope you enjoy this fun time of year with him. Take care!

p.s.--8 weeks...what the heck?!?!

thepaddock said...

Ahhh, September is definately one of my favorite months besides December. Especially, now that I'm a mother. All the fall decorations come out and the weather (here in Utah) is perfect! Everyone is so festive and its fun to see the different porches that are decorated with Halloween stuff. I love it!

I must say, those caramel apples look so yummy....you are so crafty. And, if your hubby is throwing hints to get a plasma...I say go for it!

Nau Willis said...

I love cold. So fall brings us closer to that. So I must say that I am with on the Rocky Mountain Choc. Factory carmel apples...holy shamoly. I also love thier choc. covered strawberries both in milk choc. and white...whew now I want some! I cant believe your baby is coming soon hows the name thing going???

Marné said...

September is the month with the morning when you wake up and the air is cold and crisp - my first reaction is hooray!!! FALL!! and then - yikes, winter to follow! but i do love fall fashions besides.:) layering. you can't beat it. i'm glad you have your husband back!!

Mark and Kim said...

I LOVE Rocky Mtn caramel apples...so delicious! It used to be a tradition to get one at outlet malls. And truthfully, I don't like September/Fall at all in Utah b/c it's already too cold for me! And knowing that it won't be warm again for 8 months....sad.

Kristina and Tyson said...

um yes...ditto, diddo, ditto! I love the fall. Here in Austin though it still feels like July in Utah, but I actually am fond of it. Soon that fall crispness in the air will come and I am excited for that. There is something invigorating for me in the fall. It IS my favorite season! Wow, $3400 dollars...I believe it, girls girls girls!

Janene said...

I love September most of all! We are getting glorious indian summer weather here and I can't get enough. The leaves on the mountains are changing -- it just goes by too fast.

Janene said...

ps. glad you have your hubby back :o)