Saturday, August 1, 2015

epic road trip: arkansas to phoenix

Our summer trip to Utah exploded into something much bigger with Spencer's travel plans also exploding. He had to go to England during the week we were going to be driving to Utah. My choices were: drive the whole way alone (with the kids), go to Utah early and stay for nearly two weeks, or have Spencer drive me part-way, and go see my family before heading to Utah. I chose the last option.


And off we went! July 16th. This was our long day, and we wanted to make it to Albuquerque or further.  It started out great; I drove to OKC while Spencer worked. But then people started to get grumpy.

At least the sky was pretty!
We stayed in a DIVE of a hotel in Albuquerque, in a not-so-great part of town. The next day we only had to go 6 hours to get to Phoenix.

OH MAN we were so happy to get to Michael and Carly's house! 

We hadn't seen it before and it was such a welcome stop. Spencer had to leave after a few hours to fly out to England, but the rest of us stayed the night. Michael was super fun and took the kids to a Diamondbacks game but they cheered for the Giants because - hello - and he practically disowned them. (Oh, and the Giants won.)
The kids had fun playing with their cousins. Emma made her cookies and they lasted about 10 minutes...




The next morning we were on our way to California. We were so sad to leave their fun house! Especially cute baby Josh.

That drive is UGLY but again, it was new to me and so I didn't hate it too much. The kids were done with being in the car (though Emma was a huge help) and pulling into Grandma and Papa's was heavenly....

1 comment:

Mark and Kim said...

Oh I love that picture of Sadie screaming in the car. Looks so familiar! I would've laughed out loud but I didn't want to wake anyone!