Wednesday, July 4, 2012

aspen grove

I really don't know why I was skeptical of this gorgeous place! I love BYU, I love the church, I love their programs, and they (especially together) do things really well. (Yes, I am biased as a BYU alumnus and a former EFY counselor.) I guess the cost made me the most nervous, because, let's be honest...it isn't cheap.


Well, after being here just one day I realized what a treat we were really in for. Not only is the setting gorgeous, at the base of Mt. Timpanogos, but there are constant activities for everyone. Tanner even had a class (the Rompers) to go to every morning.

Emma and Tyler would come back completely exhausted, and would sleep at night like never before.

Each age group had different themes every day. Emma had Avenger Day, Cowboy Day, etc. Tyler had Harry Potter Day, Spy Day, and Star Wars Day. They swam with their groups, they played dodge ball, they did crafts, they climbed the rock wall


they learned cheers, they hiked, and they had a complete ball. Tanner went kicking and screaming to his class but really liked it once he was there. The best part was picking him up...I got to see him having fun and when he would see me he would say "Mom! I missed you!" or "What's up?"

I did crafts, went to lectures, did some serious water aerobics, hung out, and did laundry. When our kids went to bed we would play games like reverse charades (FUN) or go to the store for BYU ice cream or mint brownies.

(Spencer has commented a few times since coming home that he really misses the BYU ice cream...he's big into ice cream).
Some highlights:
Minute to Win It night. If you saw my previous post, you know how into this our family is. Well, the version at Aspen Grove was pretty lame but Tyler wanted so badly to be in it and he finally got picked at the end for a really hard game. He got 2 of the 4 balls before knocking over the 3rd. Pretty good if you ask me... (I love how his tongue is out as well, as the face of the guy behind him.)
All the family time. I love when my kids can be with their cousins. (or dancing with their grandma)


(Papa and his 3 "baby" grandsons)

Tyler having another Tyler in his group. (My) Tyler lost two teeth while at Aspen Grove, so these two were the toothless Tylers. And...Grandma pulled both of them out, sparing me the nastiness. Because of that, Grandma gave him a dollar each time, in addition to what he got from the tooth fairy.
(sorry, there's a bit of blood in this pic. he's a bleeder!)


On the topic of missing teeth...Tyler, for some reason, was holding his tooth in his hand while he went through the breakfast line. He dropped it into the bin of waffles! Luckily my mom was there and was able to get it out quickly before someone had a serious problem. Can you imagine the possibilities?? So so gross...but it still makes me giggle every time I think of it.



Our hike to Stewart Falls. My kids were in their classes so Spencer and I were childless (though the big kids hiked to the same falls with their groups on the same day), and my mom and Michael, Carly, and Matthew joined us. It wasn't an easy hike, but it was fun and it was a very do-able 4 miles. I love nature, and I love hiking, and I am glad we got to do this. Next time we will take on Timp for sure.

The food! No, it wasn't always that great, but most of it was actually pretty good, and I didn't have to cook or clean up for an entire week. And now I am struggling getting back into it.

Emma being in the talent show. She is my shy/reserved one, so I was shocked when she wanted to try out. She nailed "Praise to the Man" just like she has the million other times I've heard it. So proud. I only wish I had caught her extravagant bow on camera.

Not a highlight...
See this huge ball?

It contributed to Spencer's dislocated shoulder. He is awaiting a MRI. I have to laugh that something called "water frolics" caused him to have a dislocated shoulder. I should make up a better story...like he got into a fight with a Ute. That might be more believable. :)

We loved it! What an incredible place.



 Michael totally slaughtered Spencer in basketball...



Tanner's happy place.

4 comments:

Carly said...

GREAT pictures. We miss it too!

Jen said...

Sold. I'm adding this onto my pinterest list of family vacation ideas!

Misty said...

That does look amazing....except for the water frolics. Those look dangerous! haha!

hales said...

I thought Spencer dislocated his shoulder when he had to rescue those hikers on the cliff near the top of Timp; rapelling down in the middle of a waterfall. With the fire raging all around. And all that after stopping the terrorist attack with nothing more than a Zippo lighter and a Swiss Army knife. He is a hero!