Saturday, June 30, 2012

We ♥ New York!

This family reunion was relatively last-minute, but it ended up being my favorite one yet on this side of the family. I was "in charge" this time, so I heavily delegated to those who were willing and it all came together so nicely! I definitely couldn't have pulled it off if I was on my own.

We had lots of outdoor time. Because there are now 9 families and 25 kids (at this moment), I just couldn't find a house big enough for all of us that was even close to affordable. We all stayed in our own locations, which ended up being great! The kids were rested, there was minimal chaos, and our time together was that much more valuable.

We had a JDawg's bbq...


Minute to Win it games


 a hiking day (Tanner and I had to miss because he was throwing up)

 an outdoor game night up the canyon in an incredible park...with kick ball, volleyball, dancing, a campfire...


a program about Grandpa and Nana's lives, and a musical presentation by the grandkids

indoor swimming/watersliding

an adult temple session/Mission President setting apart/yummy Chinese dinner

and family pictures. It was a miracle everyone ended up being able to be there for some part of it, especially as we grow and spread even more across the country. Grandpa and Nana had to leave for the MTC at the end of our week and are now in NY for 3 whole years. So glad we got to do this!
(Emma is sentimental and sensitive...she made all the rest of us cry).

7 comments:

House of Tong said...

Seeing all those kids hold up the BOMs made my eyes water, I love that photo of Tanner with Emma and then of Emma crying. Love your pink/beigh top that you wore. I love seeing your happy family Cheri!! Love these pics girly.

Carly said...

Mmmmm.... JDawgs... WHY did I not go there while I was in Provo!? Darn!

Cheri said...

hey, i've seen on pinterest LOTS of recipes for the sauce. it was my first one and it was so good! (in utah, you can buy the sauce at costco.)

Natalie N said...

Way to go, Cheri! Looks like a fabulous reunion! What a special way to celebrate Spencer's parents before they left. I especially loved seeing all of the Wirthlin kids with their spouses. What a remarkable group!
xoxo

hales said...

All the pictures are so cute. Great memories. (and Kristina's skirt is SO dang cute!)

Rachel said...

I'm just catching up on your blog posts. What a fun family reunion! How great that everyone could get together before your in-laws left on their mission.

So, my mom was telling me just a bit ago about how they were getting a new mission president for their mission and she mentioned he was Elder Wirthlin's son. I then of course wondered if it was possibly Spencer's dad. So, it looks like it is. Upstate NY is a great place--of course, I'm not biased or anything. My uncle is currently in the mission presidency so your father-in-law will meet him, I guessing. (He's my cousin John's dad--I don't remember if you remember John VanDerwerken from freshman year--I know he and Kim used to hang out so maybe you remember him to?) Anyway, it's small world...

Lisa R.D. said...

It was so fun to see all of the great photos of your reunion... Like Natalie, I loved the photo of all eight kids and spouses with Joe and Kathy. You guys are a great family!