Monday, March 5, 2012

new kitchen colors

If you know me at all, you know what I do when Spencer travels a lot or when it's busy season - I paint. I guess that's better than shopping...though sometimes I do that too. Remember last year when we remodeled our kitchen, and the light green color I had on the walls no longer looked that great with the white cabinets? Well, I've been stewing over colors ever since then. I no longer tune in to HGTV, but I do tune in to Pinterest. Did you know that you can (often) type a paint color into Pinterest's search bar and it will pull up rooms that are painted in that color??

Anyway, Spencer knew I wanted to paint but other than that I was leaving him out of it. My kitchen/dining area is quite large and I knew it would take some time, and a lot of prep time. I decided on Martin Luther King Jr. day. My big kids would be home from school to help with Tanner, and Spencer would be working. We ran out to get the paint at 8:30 that morning and I immediately got to work.

At first I was horrified with how it looked on the walls - it didn't look bad, but it totally was not what I had thought. It almost looked purple to me. I kept on going...after all, with how often I paint, I would likely re-do it within the year if I needed to.

Other than Tanner getting a nice handprint full of paint one time, it was a breeze. Well, it took a long time but I was slow and steady and finished around 8 pm. I put the kids to bed, cleaned it all up, and got the kitchen put back together as Spencer walked in at 9 pm. I was so nervous about what he would think or say but the first thing he said was "Wow. This looks nice!" Phew. Over the next 24 hours I really started to like it. It got better over the next two weeks as I accessorized the rest of the walls, and saw what a great match the color is for the granite AND the backsplash.

So here are sections of my new white, gray, and yellow kitchen, along with some of the decor and other details I'm still working on. Next I'll show you my spiffy new pantry!










And, I made my first bundt cake yesterday! Sorta related since it is IN the kitchen...

4 comments:

Carly said...

One day when I get a house, you're going to be my decorator. :) Also, if that cake tastes as good as it looks, I need to make it.

The John Hollingshaus Family said...

Love the colors!!! And I need a slice of that cake. Just kidding, (well not really:) It looks delicious!

Natalie N said...

Way to go, Cheri! I love seeing what projects you're up to. I think your walls look awesome, and I love that you did it YOURSELF! Go girl! :)

Kristina and Tyson said...

I second Carly's comment...you need to come be my decorator now that I have a house :) Can I copy you?! Where did you get your cavas printed! I love love love it!! Way to go!