Wednesday, February 22, 2012

hard

Sometimes life is just hard.

Spencer's job situation is hard. That's all I'm gonna say about that. But he has a job, and in a lot of ways it's a good job.

Then there are the trite things that are "hard." I feel like this is the story of my current life. I have a son who is 19 months old, who still doesn't sleep through the night. He did it for two nights in a row and all of a sudden it didn't seem like a big deal that he hadn't done it before; I felt great. I said we'd throw a party and make a cake if he did it a 3rd night in a row. Bummer for all of us...because we didn't make it. In that moment (2 a.m.) it is really hard, though in reality it is mostly just annoying.

Hopefully in a post very soon I can tell you that Tanner is successfully sleeping through the night, and that we made a cake to celebrate. And then I will have forgotten how hard it was to get him to sleep and that part of my life will be easy once again. I can do hard things, right?

And then there are the really hard things. So often we hear, "Why do bad things happen to good people?" I feel like bad things only happen to good people. Those people are strong and they come back even stronger. But it's hard to see friends go through something that you personally know is a trial, and that you personally have experienced. I know what loss feels like, and I wish I could take it away.

And just because I need to be reminded how stinkin' cute this kid actually is...

5 comments:

Carly said...

So true!!! Things that in hindsight are just 'annoying' really can be so hard in the moment! Good thing that cute face can always cheer you up. :)

Kimberly said...

As a fellow mom of a bad sleeping 19 month old, I feel ya! They are always the cute ones.

House of Tong said...

Yes, hard is hard and we can handle hard. It's up to us to chose if that is bad or good. Great post Cheri! *tears.

Amy said...

Ahhh, lack of sleep is not trivial. I hope Tanner starts sleeping through the night, and we hope things get better for Spencer at work. We can't believe Emma was baptized. That means it's been way too long since we've seen you guys.
Your family is darling!
Oh, and we're so excited for Joe and Kathy...just wish we were still living in their mission--their call came a couple years too late.:)

Misty said...

Yes, life is hard...but so worth it. I'm in that sleep deprived state right now and am hoping it doesn't last 19 months. I'm giving the kid 2 more weeks (yes, that will be 6 weeks) and he better be sleeping for 6 hours or I'm shipping him back!

I hope you're managing during busy season. Your kitchen looks awesome!!