Saturday, June 25, 2011

my white kitchen

If you know me well, I'm sure you're as sick of hearing me talk about my kitchen as I am of thinking about it. There are always those darn lingering projects, and coupled with our new normal being busier than we're used to, things just take a lot longer than what we prefer.

But, we are pretty much done. And I absolutely love it.

There was drama with these counter stools. I searched for days to find the best ones out there. Do you realize how expensive wood counter stools are? I found some on Overstock and they looked white enough; I figured they would be pretty darn close to the cabinet color. Wrong. They looked YELLOW in my kitchen. I could not return them, so I geared myself up for another painting project. Sanding, priming and painting chairs is a project I will never do again. But they are really nice. And the color is an exact match now. Just don't ask how many weeks it took me.

This shows the color they started out (in the process)... and how they look now.
The backsplash. This was an area where I wanted to be bold and really add a splash of color. However, after trying out several fun tiles I realized that they were competing too much with the "busy" granite. I decided to stick to something classic (thinking resale) and we did this nice gray-ish marble. My parents did most of the work and I felt silly when I realized how easy it is to do. (My dad was great to actually get a picture of me doing something, proving I was here and helped a little.)



And of course the crown moulding. My dad is smart and handy and after playing around and learning how to cut those angles for a good portion of the morning he started making awesome cuts and now we have moulding up that adds the perfect touch. It's all about the finishes. (And the ceiling has also been patched and painted since this picture was taken.)

I do love it. White kitchens are modern but classic and so clean looking.

But, I would love some help. With so much white, I feel like the light green color I have in there now is too light. I need a color that will be a contrast. I know I don't want red, but any other color suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (I'm even considering brown!) It will have to wait until 2012, because I'm decorated out for the year.

11 comments:

The John Hollingshaus Family said...

It looks awesome!

Jen said...

It's gorgeous! I LOVE the chairs. I can imagine that they were hard to find though; they are gorgeous. The crown moulding and backsplash is gorgeous too. What fun to have a new kitchen!

The Brown Family said...

This maybe my dream kitchen!! Very beautiful!

Carly said...

I love it!! The chairs look awesome. How about a dark green or blue?

hales said...

It looks great. For a color, how about a steel blue/greyish color?

Mark and Kim said...

I'm always a fan of a teal/sea-green color OR a dark dark purple.

Teri T said...

You know I LOVE white!!! You have to see the white, beach cottage kitchen in my BH&G magazine this month. The owners use lots of colorful accessories--it's gorgeous. And Cheri, you are determined! I think I would have given up on the chairs!!

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

Yes, gorgeous is right!!

jonna said...

the stools were worth the headache (kinda like labor - right?!) now you can sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Marné said...

That is a BEAUTIFUL kitchen. You should be proud! I like the walls, but if you want to change them you could tie them into a tone that is in the countertops - maybe a green? I love the white cabinets.

Janene said...

looks fantastic Cheri! Way to be a finisher.