Wednesday, March 14, 2012

pantry

It's funny how when you finally get to buy a house you don't really care that things are outdated, totally NON-functional, etc. Or you think you don't care. But they do start to get to you at some point. And I like to do things the cheapest/easiest way possible, without having to tear out too much.

My pantry was one such area. The closet-like area doubles as a pantry and a storage place for the furnace. We have long had this free-standing shelf unit from Ikea in there (this was after we moved it out, obviously)...


But that got old, especially since the pantry is so deep and all that space back there was completely unused and wasted. Before Emma's baptism I asked my handy-dandy dad how long it would take to build pantry shelves. He figured a couple days, so I blew off the idea of anyone building a pantry that same weekend.

Imagine my surprise when he showed up with SO many tools! I honestly laughed in shock as he continued to pull huge things out of their not-so-big car (and you'll remember my mom transported all those frosted sugar cookies here, in the same car). He pretty much did the entire pantry project himself, and worked when he had a few minutes/hours, broken up by all the activities and other things we had going on. Spencer helped too, when he could. :)

For about $100 I now have a much more useful pantry area. I'm still working on it, and I'm pretty sure it will always be a work in progress. But I love it. I love that it is permanent and built-in. It makes me happy to have even more little details in this house added by us. Oops, I mean added by my dad.



(can you see that the bottom shelf is the perfect level for Tanner to play with all the cans? he loves stacking and re-arranging. i will never have a perfectly organized and pretty pantry until i have older kids...and maybe not even then.)

I put lazy susans (spray-painted, of course) on the 3 inner corners. They're cute and sorta useful but not nearly as much as I had hoped. Oh, and those plastic holders on the right side are for small things like soup packets and pectin. So so convenient.

Thanks Dad! (He also managed to get Tanner to actually play with him - a big deal).

6 comments:

jksfam said...

You have a great dad! :) You could try to the shelf reliance cabinet or pantry versions for your cans in those back sections. I got mine at Costco at one point for a lot cheaper than the website.

GHFamily said...

Greatest dad award goes to.....David Hales!

Carly said...

Go dad! Looks great!

hales said...

You have the greatest dad EVER!

Natalie N said...

Wow! What a labor of love! I love that your sweet dad heard of your need for a new pantry and knew just what to do. Looks SO great! How fun to have more space in the kitchen :)

Janene said...

great job with your projects! I don't know why, but the spring bug that nudges me to tackle home improvement didn't bite this year.