Friday, January 6, 2012

pizza friday

For the last several years Friday has been pizza night at our house. Everyone looks forward to it. Well, everyone but Emma. The only food Emma doesn't love is pizza. And because I am economical and health-conscious, I always make it myself. Years ago I got a recipe from Spencer's mom but I have modified it slightly over time. In fact, I think it's probably different every time I make it. But it's always good, and always has a thick crust. Which is the most important thing.

In case you want to be not-so-original like us and have homemade pizza every Friday night, here is my recipe. Pretty much. By the way, it also works well for cinnamon rolls if you have extra dough (and use vegetable oil instead of olive oil)...

Pizza Dough
2 1/2 cups very warm water
2 1/2 Tbsp yeast
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
7 cups flour (throw in some whole wheat flour if you want, but not more than 3 cups)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (or olive)

Mix water, yeast and sugar. Let rise for 35 minutes. Add salt, flour, and oil. Knead and let rise for 1 hour. Roll/stretch out dough onto a pan or stone. Add pasta/pizza/marinara sauce, mozzarella/provolone cheese, oregano and whatever toppings you want! Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes (check on it).


Makes enough for two large pizzas or three small (or two small...and cinnamon rolls!) I often half the recipe and just do one big pizza but I'm realizing that isn't going to fly any longer. I also have a recipe for white pizza sauce topped with tomato and basil if anyone is interested in that...

*Note: I read something the other day about how pizza should always be cooked at the highest temperature your oven will go to. Well, mine will go as high as I tell it to, so tonight I cooked our pizza at 450 for 8 minutes. I didn't notice a difference but maybe real foodies could have...?

4 comments:

hales said...

I love your pizza!! But I really love it when YOU make it instead of me.

kels said...

cool tip on cooking at the highest temp! also, I'd love the white sauce recipe.... we make pizza here about once a week :)

GHFamily said...

Looks professional to me!

Lisa R.D. said...

We have pizza night every Friday night too! In the past few years we have become really consistent... and I make the crust too (partly freshly ground wheat). My latest craze is using basil pesto as my sauce. I usually put peppers and red onions on it. Yum! Ryan and the kids stick with marinara sauce (out of a jar). It is truly the easiest cooking night of the week!