Sunday, January 22, 2012

green smoothies kids will drink!

Maybe it was initially a hard transition for me because I worked at Jamba Juice for 4 years in high school/college...but now I sure like my smoothies healthy.

Up until last year I used to make green smoothies a few times a week but my Ninja Blender just wasn't cutting it (literally), and we would be chomping away while we were attempting to drink. When our across-the-street neighbors went out of town I "borrowed" their Vita Mix. After a week I was sold and a few days later I was the proud owner of my very own.

I use it at least once a day (mostly for green smoothies for breakfast). My kids love them and it counts for Spencer's and my entire breakfast. I try to get about 10 different fruits/vegetables, depending on what I can get at that time of year. And my smoothies are usually not green...we like blueberries a lot so that changes the color to more of a purple when I use those.


It makes enough for all 3 kids to have smaller-sized cups, and Spencer and me to have tall glasses (about 6 cups total). While you don't need a fancy power blender, it definitely helps. And, I have the comfort of knowing that at least my kids are getting some greens every day.

Here is my typical green smoothie (equals a full blender):
2+ cups water (more or less depending on consistency during blending)
2 handfuls spinach
2 handfuls kale
About 10-12 baby carrots
10 strawberries (frozen or fresh)
1 small apple
Handful of frozen peach slices
Blueberries/Blackberries/Raspberries
Grapes, or any other fruit you have
Flaxseed (1-2 teaspoons)
Ice, if necessary
Blend, and add more water or ice depending on the consistency you want. What I love the most is that these taste slightly different because I always use different ingredients.

I love this sight!

*By the way, my very favorite fruit in green soothies is grapes. I would never have guessed it, becuase I generally don't like things that are grape-flavored, but they sure add a lot to the smoothies.
**Bananas add a creamy texture but also a strong flavor. Unless you love bananas, I would only use half of one, or none at all.

6 comments:

Carly said...

mmm i love green smoothies without chunks and seeds. (i have a lame blender). :) that picture of your kids eating is so cute.

April said...

I am laughing so hard right now!!! 1st- I worked at Jamba Juice in high school too it was actually Zuka Juice here in Utah then later changed. thats where I meet my hubby! And 2nd I just blogged last night too about our green smoothies! haha we are too funny! SOOO jealous of your vitamix, someday!

GHFamily said...

I love my mixer too-well worth the money. We always add bananas in ours. My kids grew up drinking this kind of stuff and now make it themselves. So yummy and good for you. I throw vitamins in our smoothies too and the blender purees it and the kids didn't complain because they didn't know they were drinking their horse pill vitamins.
hm

Candice said...

Hmm, I wonder if that is why I like hamburgers so much because I worked at a fast food joint in High school?

Beck Family said...

I add clove and cinnamon to ours and it is awesome. Ry also makes me add garlic and ginger. So good for you!!

Jamie said...

Hey, we love green smoothies too, though we haven't been eating them lately because the sight of spinach does strange things to my pregnant self--maybe in a few months.

Having my kids ask for a green smoothie was the most amazing thing!