Friday, October 14, 2011

tyler

Do you know my Tyler? If not, you should. I adore this boy. I have adored him from the minute he was born, in all his red-hair glory. Our first 18 months together were rough but ever since then he has been easy as pie.


Tyler is incredibly sensitive...but at the same time he is also a leader. He is a rule follower and his greatest fear is disappointing people. I am trying to tweak this a little bit, as I want my kids to know they can make mistakes. Tyler does every single thing I ask him to, and often says "Got it!" when I tell him it's his turn to remove a dirty diaper from the house. It doesn't get better than that, and you would agree with me if you were around to smell the dirty diapers Tanner produces.

He was in his element in Pine Valley. He rode around on an old bike from the shed, got a new walking stick from great Grandpa, and showed us all how to find the best view of the valley while we were on our hike. And, because he's such a rules guy, he is incredibly cautious. I won't complain. Look how far he is from that fire.

Tyler lost his very first tooth this week. And then he lost his second just 3 days later. He wasn't nervous at all once he realized it was super loose...he was just so thrilled with the prospect of a dollar showing up under his pillow. I got to pull both out for him (Spencer doesn't do blood) using floss and he was just so relaxed about the whole thing. So easy. So mellow. I love it.

This boy is an athlete. I'm still not certain about his skills on team sports (t-ball) but he sure can run. Their annual Prowl at school was last week. Last year he ran more than any other kindergartner (9 laps--2 1/4 miles) and this year he was determined to do 10 laps. He ran his heart out, not stopping at all except to swig down some water real fast, but they blew the whistle right as he finished his 9th. I knew how determined he was to get 10 and felt sorry for him for a minute, but then I realized he didn't have quite as long as last year to run. And seriously - a 6 year old running 9 laps in 20 minutes? I don't know if I could even do that right now. I'm definitely taking him running with me. If I can keep up.

Everyone loves him, he is the easiest child to be in charge of, he is Tanner's new favorite chasing/wrestling playmate (when Tanner wants to snuggle or read he goes to me or Emma), and he's seriously a dream child. He doesn't complain, have tantrums or act like a brat. He isn't dramatic. And he loves to sleep! Um...can you imagine a better child? Yes, be jealous. :) I love this guy.

3 comments:

Carly said...

I miss Tyler!! And I'm glad Matthew has such a good older guy cousin to look up to. :)

The Skubal Family said...

I remember when you first moved in our ward. I would see that boy sleeping during sacrament meeting every Sunday...hilarious! What a good kid.

hales said...

Tyler is the man!! I miss that kid.