Wednesday, June 8, 2011

winding down

Isn't it interesting how things get crazy before they can finally wind down? We're kinda in that place right now.  If you could see my calendar that has been really full for June so far, it's pretty empty after the last day of school. I can't wait. And remember how I wanted to make a count-down chain on the first day of school because I was already missing my kids? Well, I didn't make a chain, but I have known for the last couple months exactly how many days were left until I got my two big kids home with me for 2 1/2 months!! I am way more excited than they are, probably because they have both had such phenomenal teachers this year and as a result they truly enjoy school.

My parents came to visit for some fun things going on. It had been 5 whole months since we had last seen them, which I think is the longest time we've gone in over 4 years. Tanner took a while to get accustomed to them, but he quickly realized they are nice and they give him what he wants. He loved running his hands over Papa's beard, and would laugh and laugh at how the prickles tickled. He even fell asleep on my mom's chest while she read to him and Tyler, and he NEVER does that.


Emma had two dance recitals. The girls looked like little cupcakes with sprinkles. Emma enjoyed performing and did fabulously, and I couldn't figure out why I kept feeling so emotional. Spencer kept saying, "What happened to our baby girl?" She even wore make-up. Yikes.

We finally finished up t-ball. 20 games later, Tyler doesn't know if he wants to play again next year. I have mixed feelings about the time commitment, but I did make him finish the season. His favorite part of the season was the snack shack, and getting his very own trophy at the end. He hit a pitched ball (not off the tee) when Grandma and Papa were here, just minutes before they had to leave to drive home. His coach said he was the most improved player this year. I am very proud of my # 9 Sea Dog. By the way, who thought white baseball pants were a good idea?
My parents also helped us finish up some kitchen projects, for which we are SO grateful. I'm glad my dad, the handyman that he is, got to contribute a little bit to this project that has consumed us for almost 2 months. It is 95% done now, and I'll put up final pictures soon. By the way, "simplify" continued to make me giggle as well as roll my eyes, so it is GONE.

Once school is out we have a rather low-key summer planned with two little boys' birthdays (!), as well as the last birthday I will ever have. And a visit from Nana and Grandpa, who will be bringing a huge item with them for us to borrow.

Bring on the sun, the pool, and lazy summer days!

6 comments:

hales said...

Hooray for summer! And cute kids! And an awesome kitchen!

Dad said...

Great picture of Tyler hitting the ball. It was a great weekend. Very impressed with the little family.

Jen said...

Really great picture of Tyler hitting the ball. I've been wondering when we should put Luke in baseball; maybe we'll follow your example and wait a few more years.

Ah, summer. I've been looking forward to it too!

Amy said...

I can't believe how big your kids have gotten! What a cute family you guys are...looks like you've already started having a lot of summer fun.

Love the kitchen re-model too.

Hope all is well for you!

Janene said...

what a great family picture! I'm so excited that it is summer now. Loving having Zach home, and thankfully he doesn't seem as bored as he was certain he would be. :o)

Natalie N said...

Yay for summer! Loved the update here. LOVE the family picture with Emma after her dance recital. What a beautiful crew. Baby Tanner's LIGHT hair and dark eyes are such an exotic combo. That kid will be a heart-breaker, for sure.

We miss you guys! Enjoy every minute of having your kids home! :)