Sunday, June 19, 2011

our guy

I guess my Father's Day gift to Spencer was a bit of a cop-out, and was kinda selfish. I'm not really feeling bad though.

A few weeks ago we were offered the chance to buy some U2 concert tickets from friends who had moved from the area. Luckily, we got to go with some of our other good friends and we were 4 rows from the front. Aside from feeling like an old lady, where staying out until 1 a.m. throws me off for days, we loved rocking out to all U2's classics. I would have felt like a giddy teenager at a cool rock concert...but there weren't any teenagers there.


My favorite part of the night involved the space station. Bono said he was dedicating the next song to Gabby Giffords (the congresswoman who was shot). There was a video of Mark Kelly, her husband, up in space. He held up some cards and one by one spelled the words "It's a Beautiful Day." Then he said, "Tell her I love her. She knows." I don't even like that song but I sure liked it right then! It was an incredible concert.

A couple things I learned:
-Bono really likes the camera.
-Bono has a creepy resemblance to Robin Williams (or, Robin Williams has a creepy resemblance to Bono?).
-Marijuana smells weird. I kept asking what all the smells were, and Spencer would just roll his eyes. I guess I'm naive?

Today was great because Spencer was actually home with us! Thankfully it was Stake Conference so his meetings were minimal and it was just like old times (meaning, just like a year ago). And he got to sit with us at church and see what a full-time job it is to keep Tanner occupied. I even "let" him do most of the work. He also got to teach the kids how to play his favorite game, Ticket to Ride. I kept telling him not to cheat (he has to win he likes to win), but the kids picked up on it quickly and I'm sure it will replace Monopoly as the game tradition around here, thank goodness (not a fan of Monopoly).
I love that the kids think Spencer is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

6 comments:

hales said...

How does Spencer know what marijuana smells like?

And I totally get why he has/wants to win. I mean, why else would you play??

Carly said...

Haha mom's comments are funny. And I can't believe your kids like a such a grown up game! Shouldn't they still be playing Candyland?

Cheri said...

Mom, I think from the streets of Manchester. I didn't ask.

So, Tyler is like Spencer - competitive, and takes it all very seriously. Emma is like me - had fun until it was apparent she wasn't going to win, and wanted to be done.

April said...

Yay u2. So fun and an amazing show huh? I too was asking what's that smell? Haha I'm so naive I thought it was a skunk.

Natalie N said...

Yay for date nights!!

And how have I never heard of Ticket to Ride? Looks like a fun one!

Lisa R.D. said...

Loved your observations about the U2 concert... my experience was largely the same :).

We love Ticket To Ride too... it's such a fun game and our kids LOVE it.