Friday, February 4, 2011

2,555 days

This is how long I've been a mom. It doesn't seem like a long time in terms of days, but when I look at this beautiful girl, who has quite literally sprouted in front of my eyes, it feels like forever ago that she was born, forever ago that she was a baby when we lived quiet, sleepy, simple lives in Provo. She's been a ball of joy since the very beginning (after I got over the fact that she was born 8 days late...)
We think the world of this girl. I swear Spencer sprouts a few more gray hairs every single year, and he's told me many times he's worried about being the dad of such a beautiful girl, especially a few years down the road. My favorite things about Emma are that she has a kind heart, she's very aware of those around her, and their feelings, she cries with me when she sees I'm sad, she is the best big sister these two stinker boys could ask for (and someday they'll realize it!), she holds Tanner when I just can't do it anymore, she's a good friend, she does everything I ask her to, and she makes me proud every single day. Oh, and she now leaves notes outside my door with lines for me to respond - she's always good at asking me a question so I know exactly what to respond to. I'm so glad she came first because if one of her brothers had been first I don't know if there would have been any more.
We only do birthday parties every ~3 years. My kids have never complained about this, and I love them for it. When they DO have a party it sure is a big deal. And, I don't have to worry about spoiling them. Emma decided on a Wii party and of course had to invite two boys from school, in addition to a few girls. It's so great when your kids can decide what they want, but are also conscious of what their moms can handle. :) So, that party is this afternoon. Now if I can just figure out how to get all the Wii remotes connected, make a cake, clean my house, and take care of a super needy baby, we'll be good to go! Let's party!

8 comments:

Misty said...

How sweet. Yes, having two boys first would have been a challenge...you know, one that I am currently living! =) I'm glad she is such a good helper to you. I can't wait for THAT stage, but I'm happy to relish in (and complain about) the stage we are at now. Kids sure keep things busy! Happy Birthday to Emma. She really is beautiful. Spencer has every reason to worry! =)

Dad said...

Emma is Special.

Gary and Michelle said...

Our Emma was 7 when your Emma was born. Crazy, huh? There is something special about first girls named Emma.

Natalie N said...

What a precious girl!! This is such a sweet post--and beautiful pictures too. Way to go putting on the party, Cheri! Can't wait to hear how it went! :)

House of Tong said...

Great photos of a great girl!! Happy Birthday :-)

Koko said...

she is beautiful... just like her mama <3 i can't believe she is seven! can you believe how fast these kids grow :(

Melanie said...

Great photo of Emma!! She's so beautiful.

beck said...

She is GORGEOUS. Yeah, I can imagine the gray hairs coming for that one! All your kids are seriously cute. I was admiring your babe at church yesterday as he was just staring at Spencer as he was commenting in Sunday school! So cute! You guys are a sweet little family. It was fun peeking in at your blog for a bit. :)

p.s. love the valentine crafts!