Wednesday, February 9, 2011

crafts

About a month ago I really started itching to do crafts, or to just find a project. It had been a while. There was this heart wreath I really wanted to make last year but never got around to doing so I enlisted some friends and we invited others to come join us for a day (that turned into two) of crafting. I adore this wreath.


Jonna had found a cute project so we also made these letters. Mine are still waiting to be drilled and embellished...I'm hoping to get around to it before I have to put them away...

And because I was just on a roll with Valentine's decor, and because this one involved very little effort, I downloaded this adorable piece of Valentine's art, had it printed at Costco for $1.49, popped it into a frame (that I ended up needing to paint black since it was brown), and it's now on my entry table. Easy.

So, instead of having 2 Valentines decorations, I now have 5!

Lastly, we have been using the same laundry hamper bags for the last 5 years. They've just gotten older and less usable, and this week one totally ripped... I like them though because it's easy to separate whites and darks (my kids have been doing it for years) and not have to worry about it later.

The only other laundry hamper I have seen that I LOVE is $90, so I decided to make new "bags" to be held to the metal stands. I pulled out and dusted off my sewing machine, picked up some fabric at JoAnn ($8), and attempted to figure out what the heck I was doing. There was definitely a lot of error, but they ended up really cute! Even my kids are impressed. I thought a broken needle might have been the end of my big sewing project but thanks to some friends who probably thought I was completely inept, I learned how to replace a sewing needle - which is so easy it's embarrassing that I had never done it before. Note to self: Broken needle does NOT mean broken sewing machine.

No, they don't match my room AT ALL, but I'm hoping to change that real soon (another project for when I have a bit more time). Maybe these cute laundry bags will make me like doing laundry more. Ha ha. At least they're fun - what an improvement from the boring white ones that were here for 5 years.

And...lastly, here are some festive cookies. My mom has THE best sugar cookie recipe. She doesn't really use a recipe but I nailed her down a few years ago and got an approximate recipe. I made these for my YW a few weeks ago when our lesson was on finding an eternal companion, which was fitting for that and for Valentine's.

Glad to be back in it! Now to pick up a book and actually read for pleasure - that's my next goal. I can't fathom it but it sure sounds appetizing...

14 comments:

hales said...

Those bags are WAY too cute!

Jen said...

Such an adorable heart wreath!

Way to go with the laundry bags! I too looked for baskets like that and was deterred by the price; unfortunately, I don't have the metal frames. :(

Ah, I need to make Valentine's cookies!

Gary and Michelle said...

I love the wreath. How hard was it? And the bags are too cute, but I thought this years theme was pink. :)

Cheri said...

The wreath is SO easy. In fact, I made 2 and gave one away.

Carly said...

Wow!!! This just put me in the mood for some sugar cookies.

Spencer said...

This is what happens when busy season for a tax guy hits. I come home every day to a new project. :) Looks great.

Cheri said...

spencer, just you wait until the paint and paintbrushes come out. you'll come home to new ROOMS! :)

jonna said...

cheri - i am drilling two more sets of letters today. (my girls') i will call you and we can do our together!! i'm hoping to send them off today so they at least ARRIVE on valentines day ... before THEY have to put them away! oh well...good intentions. i was short one "o" - and it finally came in.
p.s. craft days = so much fun! definitely a 'gotta do again'. maybe you can bring some sugar cookies!
p.s.s. i was totally gonna do a mother/daughter neighborhood cookie decorating activity here this year - until i realized - rochelle will be gone. and ashley is gone...so...NEXT year! k?
p.s.s.s. LOVE the laundry bag! can't wait to see what you do to your room to make it match! (work on spencer!)

Natalie N said...

What a great post. I totally got infected with the crafting bug recently too. LOVED seeing all of your projects, girl! The laundry baskets--WOW! And the wreath is beautiful. Keep up the great work!!

GHFamily said...

Laundry bags are my favorite!

House of Tong said...

Go you!!!! This was waaay fun! I can't wait 'till our next Crafting project! xoxo

Janene said...

Um, I didn't even decorate for Valentines this year. how lame is that? :o)

You always have a way of finding great stuff for a great deal!

Melanie said...

I love that wreath. I made one last year after Kori showed me how. It's my one and only v-day decoration. I'm going to try more next year. I love your laundry bags. Someday I am going to paint and re-do my laundry room really cute and that is such a great idea to liven it up (and cheap). I might just have to call you to get that sugar cookie recipe. Although I despise making sugar cookies-- to much work for me :)

Lisa R.D. said...

These crafts are adorable! My sister and I made some wreaths, but all of our craft stores were out of the heart shaped foam, so we ended up doing round ones... not as festive, but I am going to hang mine in Sophia's room all year. I love your hamper bags!!! Reminds me that I need to get working on my laundry (always!).