Wednesday, October 6, 2010

fruits (or vegetables) of my labors

So, if I can pretty much throw some stuff together (stuff = dirt, seeds, water) and grow a massive garden, I guess anyone can do it. After recognizing that I might have a domestic bone in my body after all, Spencer told me he's going to start calling me Betty.
Here's what we got this year:
  • About 350 tomatoes, Roma and Beefsteak. Originally we had 6 tomato plants and 3 were eaten by gophers. For once I'm grateful for those darn gophers! When the plants started to get out of control my dear friend suggested canning them (huh?) and then even took the time to do it with me so I could learn. Then she gave me an awesome salsa recipe. And, this week we made and canned marinara sauce. I'm going to start calling her Martha. (We also canned peaches! But we decided that is NOT worth the work. Good to know.)
  • 12 spaghetti squash. When the big leaves were covering part of the lawn for just too long Spencer picked them all (slightly before they were ripe). Lesson learned for next year. (They still tasted good.)
  • About 45 strawberries. The kids loved getting to eat a strawberry every day or two.
  • 15 carrots.
  • 10 pumpkins. Perfect for the next couple months! And I'm excited the kids get their own, grown in our very own garden.
  • About 50 zucchini. While I was in the hospital they grew a ton and by the time my mom was here and started picking them they were enormous. One was as long as my arm, and much fatter - about 10 pounds! Needless to say, we eat lots of zucchini around here. And we learned how to make a really yummy dish ("goulash") with all of it, in addition to some other veggies.
  • The cantaloupe starter we planted went nowhere and died. For the second year in a row. I'll need to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
I'd say it was a successful summer out in the backyard!

11 comments:

heidi said...

Amazing! It's nice to know someone's tomato plants took off. I planted 4 and got 8 tomatoes (the size of grapes). Lame. Next year I'm calling you up before I plant my garden, Betty.

Jen said...

Wow. I need your secrets, Betty. Humph.

Mikaela said...

wow, that's very impressive! Look at all of those tomatoes!

The Reichmans said...

that is seriously impressive! Tanner is so darling!

Lisa R.D. said...

I am so impressed with your harvest. This year our pumpkin plant died... we usually have great luck with pumpkins!!! I guess we'll have to buy some this year...

The Howard Bolton Family said...

I am glad that your garden turned out so well! We still have tomatoes on the vines, but they are struggling to ripen in the cold New England weather. I hate chipmunks...they eat everything as well...especially my strawberries. I am so proud of you. I love the homemade salsa. I only have two of the ten jars that I canned. It goes too fast in our house.

The Rich Family said...

OK----i am wayyy impressed...way to go...wish i could be called Betty!!!Congrats...and look at all that money you are saving...man..I need a lesson.

Natalie N said...

Dang, girl! My jaw was to the floor as I read about all of these awesome veggies you grew! And the picture of little Tanner with his pumpkin? Adorable! How fun that you guys were able to grow (and can!) all of this great stuff. I am totally envious and can't wait to contact you in the future for tips when I get a garden someday. Way to go, guys!

Kristina and Tyson said...

Wow, will you give me a lesson on growing things when I get a garden!? Tanner and the pumpkin...so darn cute!

Janene said...

if this is how well you did without trying! Another reason to move to CAlifornia I guess.... :o)

Janene said...

p.s. I need the zucchini recipe .. for next year.