Tuesday, March 2, 2010

snow birds

The North East was hit with a serious ice storm on Valentine's Day in 2007. Spencer stayed home from work for the first time ever because of weather, and we watched movies and hung out all day. That ice didn't melt for at least a month. Where we lived we had to park on the grass, and all of us fell more than once. That was the clincher... about a week later Spencer got a call from a head hunter from another company and 6 weeks later we were outta there!

I guess we're sort of snowbirds now. But it's good for the kids to remember that they used to be snow babies. They sure seem to forget that this white stuff can freeze you if you aren't careful.

We were lucky enough to go sledding again with our friends. This year the kids lasted a whole 2 hours before whining. I can't blame them - it was snowing pretty hard the entire time, your legs sunk through the snow up to your knees, Tyler's boots kept falling off due to the velcro being full of snow and frozen, and Emma's snow pants were too short. They both had red toes and feet when all was said and done. Memories, right?

BUT, we sure had a great experience! The dads helped make the powdery snow into an icy track that the kids could actually sled down instead of sink into. I perched myself under a covering (that I had to hold up myself, mostly with my head) so I could actually pull out my camera and keep it as dry as possible. The things I do to get pictures! I did hand off the camera a couple times so I could join in the sledding fun. And boy was it fun! The best part is going back to the cabin, letting the kids run off and play, and drinking hot chocolate. Oh, and eating good food. I've had Eggs Benedict exactly twice in my life, both times courtesy of Ashley, Mike fried up some serious French Toast, and I am pretty sure I need to go on a diet.

In the car, ready to go. FULL car.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Love this one. Spencer's tongue being out is a trademark. Actually, it was a miracle he was able to be with us at all. (We're big fans of internet cafe's in 3G dead zones.)
Photobucket
And, our attempt at a family picture. Two of us (who shall remain nameless) were DONE with the snow.
Photobucket

9 comments:

Jen said...

Super cute snow pics Cheri! We're headed to Idaho tomorrow and Luke keeps asking about making a snowman. Little idea he has of how cold that stuff can be!

Rachel said...

Glad you were able to get away and enjoy the snow. The snow...hmmmm, that reminds me of when you and Breanna went outside freshman year of the first snow of the season in your swimsuits!! Yeah, and me being from the Northeast where we got tons of snow thought you two were crazy! But I was there to take the pictures--I wonder where those pictures are now...fun times!

Cheri said...

Rachel, I was thinking of that. And I have those pictures! Better yet, they were matching swimsuits. :) Crazy freshmen.

Melody said...

That looks so much fun! (from my computer in my warm dining room)

GHFamily said...

So glad you enjoyed the snow... I am going to use the "Asian" clause and tell you that I don't DO snow!

Janene said...

is EVERYone in the country getting snow but US? :o)

Carly said...

These pictures are amazing!! They make me want to go sledding.

Natalie N said...

Love the full car, the tongue biting, and all of that falling SNOW!! BEAUTIFUL!! Emma's face in that last picture says it all. What a fun EXPERIENCE for your family! Thanks for sharing.
xoxo

Jana said...

Those snow pictures are so cute! How have I lived in Utah for 3 winters now and NEVER gone sledding?! I am a deprived little woman.