Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Jobs

Because I'm a mom...

I not only worry about balance in terms of myself and my life, but also in terms of my kids.

Jobs. Chores. Necessary for children. Necessary for me. You might remember this post from almost two years ago. I made up super cute job charts. I thought having job charts would help me out. Well, the novelty wore off after about 3 days, and the kids were back to being job-less. Shocker.

I must take some of the blame. It's so much easier to just clean up myself sometimes. But let's face it - they are 6 and 4 1/2 and are clearly capable of taking care of things for themselves.

Over Christmas break I re-invented the system, and it has worked like a charm. That is 3 MONTHS people! May the luck continue...

Here is what works for us:
I think it's good for them to have responsibilities that they can OWN. So, I wrote down on a notepad one thing they need to do every day (which is usually taking care of keeping their room clean, including making the bed, etc.). Then I sporadically gave them a couple other jobs throughout the week. It's not too much, and they weren't overwhelmed by looking at a chart of several things they had to do every single day. Since I do laundry on Mondays and Thursdays, they are responsible for putting their laundry away on those days. (Hmm, should I put together a list of jobs for myself, and include putting laundry away??) Tyler loves having a clean room. And seriously, it's almost always clean.

Every day I remind the kids they need to do their jobs. And seriously, NOT ONE TIME have they complained! They'll scurry around and get their stuff done, usually within 10 minutes. They have even asked for more jobs (like doing the dishes) because it's become habit. They also know that if I ask them to do something else, which I almost always do, depending on what needs to be done, it's "part" of their jobs. I think that because it's always different and that they aren't staring at an official chart full of blanks on the fridge it is easier for them to do it without whining.

And what do they get? That is the most important part, after all. We have a deal that if they do everything I ask them to, and do all their "regular" jobs (the ones that are written down on that little notepad), they get a dollar at the end of the week. And I swear to you, that is like gold to them. They both have things they are saving up for. I've started giving them $1.10 so the coin can go to tithing and they can keep the dollar, and so that I don't have to break two dollar bills every week.

If all it's going to cost me is $2 a week to get their little booties moving and helping out, I tell you - it is SO worth it. May this continue for a very long time. Now if I could teach them how to cook.

11 comments:

Gary and Michelle said...

My sister has had good success with a job chart, but it's never worked for me. I think it's the consistency part that trips us up. So our motto is "work hard, play hard". When it's time to clean up, everyone helps until it is done. So far so good, but I'm always wondering what it will translate to when they are grown and gone.

Misty said...

Man - I have been a blog slacker lately. Looks like you guys have had a lot of fun! That's a great idea. I need to do something soon for my tyler. However, I know he will always help with the laundry...even if I don't want him to! =)

GHFamily said...

Great idea on the 10 cents tithing pay. We do that too.

Jen said...

Eric has asked many times when Luke will be old enough to clean the bathrooms. Do your kids do that too? :)

Natalie N said...

Money, the great motivator. :) Keep up the great work guys! I agree--for $2 a week, you're getting a great deal!

Cheri said...

My kids don't do the bathrooms yet. That's next though! Mostly they do the living areas and their bedrooms. Emma asked me last week if I needed her to clean MY room - I got the hint.

jonna said...

good for you cheri! our children always had two categories of jobs: personal & family. the idea is that...1- we are each responsible for our belongings and personal space, and 2- we are part of a family, and everyone contributes in ways that help the whole family. that's where cleaning the bathroom, and unloading the dishwasher, and weeding the garden type jobs come in.

you have wonderful children. you're smart to catch them and teach them now! while they're eager! cole LOVES when i LET him clean the toilet, wash his own laundry, vacuum and mop. he's now begging for a chance to cook dinner (probably because rochelle is doing her pers. progress experience of cooking for the family for two weeks!) you can't beat this stage of eagerness to be responsible like the bigger people in the house.

you have delightful children! and they have a wonderful mom!

Sierra Parke said...

What a great system you have set up Cheri! I've actually been thinking a lot lately that Tennyson needs to start helping out around the house and be more responsible with his belongings. I'm going to have to give your system a try for sure. Thanks for the great idea!

Lisa R.D. said...

Impressive system... I love that your kids are learning about tithing and saving and responsibility!

Kristina and Tyson said...

Cheri,

I will always be asking you for advice. I love your ideas and they do seem more reasonable. I would like a dollar at the end of the week too...ok, maybe we moms deserve a little more than a dollar, but I am proud of Emma and Tyler for doing this! I miss you guys! Keep me updated on your appointment...one week right?! Hopefully it is good news!

Koko said...

hmmm you are a very clever woman, cher bear... i think i may try this approach with the girls... i have YET to find one that works with them. blah