Tuesday, February 16, 2010

more mom stuff

Maybe this is a brain-dump of sorts, but I've been thinking a lot about this for a few weeks.

I happened to watch Oprah a few months ago (which is very rare for me). Someone whose blog I read was going to be on that day, so I made an effort to record it and watch. At one point Oprah was talking about how this woman was a mother of 4 and wondered how this talented woman could put herself/her interests on the backburner so she could have and raise her children. Oprah said how common it is that women put their interests and talents aside completely when they have children. (Ironic that she sometimes comes across like such the mothering expert.) The connotation was one of...dismay?...sympathy?...disdain? But I loved the young mother's response. She simply said, "Well, you kind of have to." She didn't sound sad about it, or that she was missing out on things she wanted to do. If you go into it knowing what you're doing, I think it's just natural and not difficult.

I remember after I had Emma that for a few months I felt like I was no longer myself, that my life would forever be changing diapers and feeding children. Then I got into a routine and it was great, and I understood why people had more than one child. I had Tyler and he really threw me for a loop - he wasn't quite the angel that Emma was. But I had known that I wanted them close together. Maybe some of my interests and talents had to take a back seat for a few years, but I knew that going in. I couldn't do lots of things I wanted to anymore because they interfered with naptime or bedtime. Now that they're a little bit older I find myself with a little more time to rediscover things I used to enjoy doing, and find new things to do. I think it's just the cycle of mommyhood. Things get crazy, and then they get crazy but a little more manageable. Or maybe it's just a different kind of crazy...

I had a few extra kids around my house this past weekend. They were great and they're darling girls, but it threw me for a little loop. (However, I did manage to get 4 kids dressed and to 9 am church a whole ten minutes early!) I said to someone, "Four kids is HARD!" An older couple heard me and said, "You think it's hard now? Wait until they're teenagers!" I had to smile and nod in agreement. But I think all stages are just different in terms of hard. It will be a different "hard" in 10 years than the "hard" it was 2-4 years ago.

Anyway, I find these little cycles interesting. We CAN do everything, just maybe not all at the same time. While I had no time AT ALL for myself a few years ago, I DID sign up for that. I think that's what makes moms good moms - we're willing to take a back seat for a while in order to give our kids what they need. But it's a cycle and in time, I will have more chances to do what I want to do, especially if those things involve them. And maybe my kids will take up some of my interests and we'll be able to do them together.

9 comments:

jonna said...

no one seems to mention how much richer you become on the inside, while you're setting aside all those things on the outside...for a season.

we emerge on the other end so much more whole, 'in spite of' all we've 'given up'.

Kim said...

Thanks Cheri - I needed the reminder this morning. :)

Lisa R.D. said...

Great post... I agree with all that you have said, and I wish I had seen that episode of Oprah (I rarely watch it either) because I love it when real moms can tell Oprah how it is. I wouldn't trade motherhood for any of my former, current, or future interests--I've found that as time goes on and our children grow up there is more room to make sure we aren't completely lost--but during the years where all of our "alone time" is non-existent we do become richer, just like Jonna said. Thanks for the thoughts!

Sarah said...

I've been feeling this way recently too, cheri. I think the comment you made about in order for moms to truly be GOOD moms, they need to do this. I think a lot of women like having children, but don't really put into consideration what it takes to be a GOOD mom - if not a GREAT one. I love Becca so much, and right now, it's more important for me to be a good mom for her, than a good performer for me. Thanks for your post :)

The John Hollingshaus Family said...

Well spoken!

Janene said...

I can think of some talents and interests that are on the backburner right now, but I can't say I really miss them, because motherhood is bringing so much more meaning, probably because its something I'm doing for others. I have to remember that everyone views motherhood through different lenses. Oprah would probably define success differently than I would.

One of the surprising things about motherhood for me has been how I'm gaining unexpected wisdom (I guess you could call it talent too :o) by being the mom. By being the one who has to maintain the good feeling in the home... .and a MYRIAD of other things. There is just nothing like it, and I don't think there is any other way to learn it than during those times when there IS no time for me.

sorry to ramble...how's that for an itty bitty brain dump? :o)

Jamie said...

thanks for your thoughts!

I find I have not put as many things on the backburner as I thought I would. Maybe my ambitions were never very high.

Sometimes I get irritated when mom's say, "well, since I'm a mom I don't have time for ____." I think you have to still stick to a few things--its good for the kids. Plus how do your children learn? From you. The best way to inspire them to want to do things is for them to see you doing them. Of course there is a balance.

Natalie N said...

Very true! I loved reading your thoughts and couldn't agree more.

BTW--way to go on getting 4 kids to 9am church 10 minutes early! I'm totally impressed!! :)

Jen said...

My mom and I talked a few weeks ago about my 77-year old grandmother, now a widow, who often complains about being lonely and spends days watching the television. She is an amazing woman and raised four amazing children single-handedly in the gospel, but -- we noticed -- she has never really found hobbies or interests for herself. Now that she is older, there aren't a lot of things that interest her or keep her busy. It's sad. SO, here's to moms finding their own interests and hobbies and cycling through them when life slows down!

Ditto on the getting 4 kids to 9 am church 10 minutes early. I can't do that for myself even!!!