Sunday, November 8, 2009

the wasteland

Our house is on a big lot. Well, "big" is relative, but I really do think our yard is extraordinarily large. The problem is, ever since we moved back in in April, it's looked like this.

A wasteland. Awful. Ugly. As one of our friends said, there should be a malnourished goat tied to a stake in the middle of all the dirt. Our Stake President is our neighbor and gave a talk in Stake Conference a couple months ago about how his lawn is greener than everyone else's. We got the hint! I guess the point of his talk was to make the grass green where we are, figuratively speaking. But perhaps he also thought we were bringing down the neighborhood...

On the side of our house were these trees. Beautiful birch trees. But, covered in ivy. Therefore, ugly. I could even hear the bees swarming from inside my bedroom.
Spencer and are both bigtime "do it yourself" types of people. Especially me. I hate spending money. But we wanted these trees out, and we wanted the stumps out (remember our root system from a few months ago?? That took us 3 weeks?), and we wanted it done quickly and nicely.
So, Spencer rocked it at work and got a bonus (have I mentioned I love being married to a super smartie pants?) And we hired out for the first time ever! You know, I really liked the whole concept of having workers. It was so nice to say "The workers are coming today." Way better than the alternative! And in just 3 1/2 days, our front yard (and side yard) was completely transformed! They took those trees down so fast, they added a new concrete walkway out to the sidewalk, they laid sod and even added a new and improved sprinkler system! Emma was really good at inspecting from the sidelines.
The workers finished here, and we were left to spread the mulch (we didn't want the yard to be entirely grass). The mulch ended up being a huge project so once again, we hired out--2 young men. I love watching rather than working. I really could get used to this. (The trees were on the side of the house, by where the truck is. I love how having them gone has opened up our house/lot so much.)




What do you think? Awesome, right? This walkway border was my doing, and it took a lot longer than I thought it would. But I love how it looks. We have two trees to plant still (in the mulch area), and solar ground lights to put in on the sides of the walkway. I'd like to plant a money tree too.
And our workers? Worth every single penny!

12 comments:

Misty said...

It looks great. I hate to spend money to hire things out, too, but I'd way rather have it done quickly than waiting to do it ourselves!

GHFamily said...

Looks great and you are right, you have a huge yard!

Brandt and Ali said...

Awesome! I loved having someone else put in our yard. If you've saved the extra money, why not!

Carly said...

Wow! It looks so good!!!! I can't wait to see it in person in a couple weeks! :)

Natalie N said...

Looks BEAUTIFUL! That bright green grass looks so nice! I am dying that someone said there should be a "malnourished goat tied to a stake in the middle of all the [old] dirt." Come on, it didn't look that bad!

And I'm so not a "do-it-yourself"-er. I'm all about the division of labor and letting experts in their area do their thing. How nice to get the job done so quickly and painlessly! Nice work, guys!

The Rich Family said...

HOW FUN!!!! What a transformation. Having a yard with grass makes such a difference. Congrats. Have fun this week too and Happy Birthday to Spencer in case I don't catch him. Miss you guys.

Camille said...

It looks so good! Good job on the border - I'm always so proud of myself for anything I do to the yard since that is strictly Brian's job! We'll have to find an excuse to come down and see it!

Candice said...

Now that the donkey doesn't match...a sunbather on a lawn chair would fit in perfect in your oasis! Oh, but then you might be the topic of stake conference again!

Janene said...

looks grand!! I'm thinking of getting some bids on new windows. Sometimes a house just needs a face lift. Well done!

Jen said...

Money well spent. Yard work takes so much time if you do it yourself on just Saturdays. Looks awesome!

Kristina and Tyson said...

It looks awesome! Great job! I am excited for you...I bet that feels so nice to have done.

siovhan said...

THAT is a snazzy yard! I'm thoroughly impressed. I love it. And Emma is SO cute!