Monday, November 16, 2009

flashback

Spencer and I met in Econ 110. I don't remember meeting him, but he swears he remembers seeing me for the first time. He had some sneaky friends who eventually positioned themselves by me and my friends, and I quickly realized that this newly returned missionary was smart. I needed someone like that. Spencer became my "dating counselor" and I would always ask his advice about this boy I liked in my building. Well, imagine my shock when in the midst of the counseling, he asked me out! I remember how hot my face felt, how low my jaw dropped. I remember that he didn't laugh or scoff or make fun of me in my shocked state.

8 years ago today, Spencer and I went on our first date. I was usually quite a basketcase with first dates (aren't they the worst!?) but going out with Spencer was like going out with a friend. We went to The Pie in Salt Lake, and then to see Warren Miller's extreme skiing show at the Capitol Theater. (I still have the program from that show!)

I had a diamond ring from another boy (on a mission) at that point. I had it with me in my pocket. (So judge me all you want, but just know that that ring came in handy quite a bit at BYU with pushy boys...in fact, some of my friends used it to freak out their moms/friends.) Anyway, Spencer saw some old mission friends and I decided to put it on to see if they would notice. We got a good laugh the next day when he got an email from the friend asking if we were engaged. :)

But back to the story...

Spencer took his parents' Suburban that night because I think he was embarrassed about his car that was nicknamed "Lipstick."

I love remembering that first date because it was so fun and not awkward. Believe me, the awkward points came later. We had plenty of them. But about a year after our first date we were married. That year was emotional and a little crazy but I'm so glad I made that decision! I love how every November 16th I think of our first date, that pesky ring, and some seriously yummy pizza.

More to come...

10 comments:

GHFamily said...

What a sweet story Cheri... and you are so right, Spencer is very smart!
Do you know Greg and I traced our history back to wood shop together at Roy Martin Junior High.. How crazy is that?

hales said...

So . . . where's the diamond ring??

Cheri said...

Probably somewhere in the Hudson...

Natalie N said...

Great story! How fun that you always remember your 1st date-iversary (sp?!). Mmmm... The Pie... wish we had an amazing pizza place like that out here. :)

Rachel said...

I'm pretty sure I was in that Econ 110 class as well. I have to say it was probably one of my least favorite classes at BYU. It's good to know something good came from it... :)

Kristina and Tyson said...

ha ha ha, I so remember Spencer telling me about you :) and how he would give you dating advice...but her really just liked you! We are so glad that you put up with him and are now his wife! So fun to remember those days! I love it...i was finally old enough to understand love at that point...my other brothers, i didn't really care yet! So i remember you and spencer dating the most.

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

Hey, let's not forget who arranged the date idea to actually get Spencer out of the library that night. 8 yrs already, goes by fast. We need to see you guys one of these days, it's been a while. J.R.

the little mrs. said...

Awwwww!!! I love this!! I definitely want more stories...... and for a great friend to come along like that for me, too. haha. For now, though, I'll stick to your stories :]

jen said...

cheri, i am so excited i found you! what a sweet story.

Kristy said...

I'm a friend of Spencer's from BYU and came upon your blog via a mutual friend...imagine my surprise to read this post and realize I was ON that date with you guys. Crazy!