Sunday, November 22, 2009

Ringin' in the 80s

Spencer and Hyrum were both born at the very end of the 70s, which means they both have 30th birthdays this November. Spencer's was a few weeks ago, while we were on vacation (more on that in the future), and Hyrum's is on Tuesday.

Ashley, Candice and I organized a surprise party for these two old men. It was last night at Ashley's house. SO FUN. Both the guys were told it was a surprise party for the other. I had a hard time keeping my story straight and not ruining the surprise.

Anyway, it was an 80s theme party. I walked into my first thrift store EVER this week and didn't have much success. I was super grossed out by the smell. I was worried I was becoming a snob but Candice thankfully accompanied me to another "nicer" thrift store and helped me find some clothes. I had to get a little creative. All our friends dressed up, and we even decorated to fit the theme!

I did have one realization: I'd better save some of my clothes so that in 10-15 years Emma can dress up in them and make fun of us and what we wore in the 2000s.

Enjoy the pictures!

Photobucket

Photobucket
The wives of the old men (don't worry, we're both a couple years away from being as old as our men). And I love that Candice is on her tip toes.

Photobucket

Photobucket
The girls. I'm aware that I look totally ridiculous.

Photobucket
The boys.

11 comments:

Kristina and Tyson said...

I LOVE IT! Happy Birthday Spencer!! Nice hair job Cheri - you both look awesome! Thanks for sharing the pictures! Good talking to you!

Carly said...

The outfits are hilarious! Glad it was fun!

Janene said...

ok, I didn't recognize spencer AT ALL until those glasses were off. Did he blow--frizz his hair or something?

ANd you DON'T look ridiculous. You look as cute as those girls on 90210 :o)

GHFamily said...

Ok! Since I am the product of the 80's, I can expertly say that you all looked marvelous!

siovhan said...

oh my gosh! spencer looks like marty mcfly! move over michael j. fox!

and you look ADORABLE!!! you are quite the stylish 80s chiquita!

Candice said...

Hey you'd be on your tip toes too if you were a runt like me!!

The John Hollingshaus Family said...

Love it!!!! I am sad we missed it. Looks like a great time!!

Natalie N said...

Oh, this sounded so wonderful! I love that you and your friend were telling both the husbands that it was the other one's surprise birthday party. Clever!!

And your outfits...where do I even begin? I love your sparkle tights and scrunchie (sp?) with the side pony tail. And Spencer's jacket and hair?! Oh man. You guys looked great!

Misty said...

what a fun idea. phil's 30th birthday was kind of boring - but we had a good dinner with some friends and family. Nothing like an 80's party though!

Jamie said...

How fun! The costumes are amazing.

I can't believe you've never been to a thrift store before. That's so funny--yeah I guess they do smell funny if they're not the DI. I always have to wash my hands a few times after shopping at a thrift store.

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

This is awesome--I love it!! Happy 30th Spencer! (P.S. Is that Hyrum Cannon? If so, I grew up in the same neighborhood as him.)