Wednesday, September 2, 2009

mixed emotions

I don't remember much about my first day of school. I don't know if I cried. Probably not. I do remember my first day of high school. In fact, for the first TWO days I thought I was going to puke. I was terrified.

I will always remember THIS first day of school. Emma's first day. I've been dreading it for weeks. Maybe because it means that in 12 days Tyler starts preschool and that means I have 8 hours a week ALONE. I still can't fathom that. It wasn't in the plans for me to be alone during the day at all, at least not for a few more years.

Back to Emma. I just have such mixed emotions about sending my sweetest little oldest child off to school. I am excited for her. I know there is a reason why kids go to school at age 5 - I know it's important for her to be there. But I can't shake the desire to keep her with me forever! Spencer gave her a blessing on Sunday night, which probably helped me more than her. She woke up this morning with a big grin on her face. I helped her get dressed today, she insisted on her hair in ponytail, and then we took the obligatory pictures outside the front door. The neighbor even noticed and came over to fawn over Emma.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

At the school I made a mental note that perhaps Spencer should take work off to join me at the school next time, as it seems like that's what EVERY other family was doing (is it me, or is that weird?). Then Tyler and I walked home. On the walk to school this morning Emma asked me if I was going to cry. That little girl is so keen and smart...and sensitive. I am proud to say that I didn't cry until I got home.

When I picked her up she didn't have much to say, other than she loved it. I kept asking "what else??" to be met with blank stares. She did tell me one boy's name is "poop." (She really thought that was weird.) I sure hope she got that wrong...

Our first-day-of-school tradition, we decided, will be making chocolate chip cookies. Usually it's Spencer who makes cookies - he makes the best ones - but someone has to be at work so it fell on me. Yum!

Photobucket

10 comments:

hales said...

Wow -- this makes ME feel old. Congratulations to all of you. (And you're going to love that free time more than you think. ha ha)

Laura H. said...

That is so exciting. I'm pretty sure I know who will be top of her class!

Carly said...

She looks SO cute! I'm excited for her!

GHFamily said...

I cried when each of my kids started school, honestly, I did. It just felt like they were taking one more step away from me. However, I noticed I didn't shed one tear when they started college!

Misty said...

she looks darling!!!

Misty said...

oh, and the cookies look DELICIOUS!!! =)

Sarah said...

I don't know how you held it together. Kayleigh starts next week, and I tear up when I think about it. Emma is beautiful, by the way.

Jen said...

The first day of kindergarten is so hard. I am not a cryer, but I cried. It's a day you look forward to for years. Lyndee actually missed her first day of kindergarten 3 years ago because it was also Grandma Wirthlin's funeral. I think that it was also hard having her miss that official first day.
What a fun tradition to make chocolate chip cookies!

Kylee said...

It was weird enough for me to have Caden in preschool for a few hours this week (and the rest of the school year), so I can't even imagine kindergarten. She looks so grown up and happy. I love her outfit too. So cute!

Kristina and Tyson said...

Beautiful Girl on her first day of school! Way to go Mom for handling it so well! Wow, cute Emma is old enough to go to school...so crazy!