Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Cameras

We had a bunch of people over for ice cream a few weeks ago. One of our friends commented on a picture of Tyler I had taken, and said how much he liked it. Spencer jumped in with, "She has a nice camera." And I do have a nice camera. But that picture in particular is one I am very proud of. Lately I've been realizing more and more that it is about the person behind the camera--as well as other factors--more than the actual camera.

My other camera is a Canon point and shoot and we've had it for years. It's a nice point and shoot. I love it! Some of my favorite, most crisp photos have come out of that camera! It's 10 megapixels, has a great zoom, and I set the ISO to 100 or 200 so that my pictures look pretty darn amazing. Nowadays I see pictures taken with camera phones and they look as good as pictures from actual cameras!

I have a friend who bought a Canon DSLR but after a few days realized it was too much for her. She took it back and got a slightly easier to use camera, that was a little cheaper but is still very nice. And it fits her. She knew she would never use the different settings and would probably just shoot on Auto, so I think she made a wise choice. And the camera she uses now (also a Canon) takes amazing pictures! Ahem, she takes amazing pictures. She didn't need the SLR to get what she wanted out of photography.

Sometimes I take crappy pictures. Sometimes the lighting is awful and there isn't much I can do about it. This happened a lot this past weekend. I think my point and shoot would have taken equally as good (or, equally as crappy) pictures. Thank goodness for Photoshop, so I can at least do a little color correcting.

Anyway, my main point is that it isn't the camera but the person and the lighting. I guess it's been on my mind the last few days since I have a bunch of pictures that need serious re-touching. Don't waste your money on a serious camera hoping for instant amazing pictures - it doesn't work that way. Sometimes I even prefer my little point and shoot. And Spencer no longer credits my camera when I happen to get a great photo. I'm not aspiring to be a professional photographer, but I do still have a lot to learn.

5 comments:

GHFamily said...

Speaking of cameras.. did Kel tell you that he's working at Bell Photographers as a photographer for school pictures. When I ask him about work he always says, "the kids that buy a package we spend more time with, the rest I just take their picture..."

Jana said...

i feel the same way! i've had so many people tell me 'your camera takes such nice pictures.' um, excuse me - i'm taking the pictures!

glad it's not just me :)

Misty said...

well, i just got a nice, new camera. and i must say, a nice camera definitely helps! =)

Janene said...

I got a nice camera as a college grad gift, but that was right as things were going digital. Just plain bad timing.

I've always wanted to polish up on my skills by taking a class with it, but don't so much want to pay for 35 mm film -- since I'm used to taking lots digitally... Whadaya do?

Lisa R.D. said...

I couldn't agree more... Ryan is quick to lend his camera to me... and I'm quick to hand it right back... I'd love to to take a class on framing photos and lighting but I haven't had the time or quite enough energy. For now, I leave the artistic shots to him :).