Thursday, October 2, 2008

To Iron or not to Iron?

Do people really iron jeans? I mean, REALLY? Didn't jeans start out as crappy work clothes? Didn't women only start wearing them in the last 30 or so years? I know that I have a few pairs of trouser jeans that, when I bought them, were folded so they had that crease down the front. I even got so sucked in that I kept them folded this way. But once I washed them - bam - no more creasing, and DEFINITELY no ironing. I do have one friend who lived overseas and had to iron absolutely everything that came out of the laundry because the washer and dryer were one machine and things would come out in a rumpled mess. Can you even imagine??

So, some jeans may come out of the dryer with slight wrinkles. Fold them (normally...no creasing), put them away, and those wrinkles will disappear! If they don't, they surely will within 5 minutes of putting them on. I just see no point to this madness. Maybe that's because I'm anti-iron to begin with (if only you could see the STACK of Spencer's work shirts hanging next to the washer/dryer in the garage - probably a month's worth there, easily).

To those who do have creases in your jeans - do you put them/keep them there yourself or does someone else (your mom? grandma?) do your laundry? I'm just curious and would love to wrap my head around this. Is creasing/ironing the new proper thing, or totally nuts?

9 comments:

jksfam said...

I HATE ironing!!!!! I try to get stuff out of the dryer and hang it up. Rarely does the iron come out! If something has a crease, I try to hang it up so that the crease is still there, but that's it!

Braden said...

ugh. i hate ironed jeans! some of my friend's parents still do all their laundry, and my friend's mom irons his t-shirts, jeans, and socks (i wouldn't be surprised if EVERYTHING was ironed). i don't know how she manages it, she works full time. it's just odd. but, to answer your question, it is weird.

Nau Willis said...

ok I DO iron but NOT jeans...not saying that I wouldnt I would probably just throw them in the dryer on "dewrinkle" while Im getting ready. But the creases? That would be a NO.BTW I cant even remember the last time my mom did my laundry over 20 years ago for sure!!!lol.

The Howard Bolton Family said...

I iron the shirts, skirts and pants. I sometimes iron the jeans, but only if the bottom of the legs are really rumpled. When I was younger, you didn't dare wear your jeans without a crease. Wearing un-creased jeans was like wearing white socks with your shorts. Okay, bad analogy, white tube socks with shorts was the rule then, but not now. I think you understand--you just didn't go out without a deep crease in your jeans.

Kim said...

I can understand it for trouser jeans, I suppose, but really, I don't think I'd put forth the effort unless I was going somewhere special (like the grocery store or something...kidding).

Truly speaking, I iron only on Saturday nights. I iron the girls' dresses and my skirt/shirt if needed. Pavel's dress clothing goes to the dry cleaners. I tried to keep up with it after having Anya and failed miserably. I blame it on my genes. :) My mother has perfected the art of pulling clothes from the dryer at the exact moment so as to not have any wrinkles. I'm working on it.

Anonymous said...

I was at the dry cleaners the other day and the customer before me was having his jeans dry cleaned and requesting creases! I wanted to tip the person (I assume the owner) behind the counter when he kindly told him that it wasn't fashionable to put creases in jeans. We have an older family friend that actually stitches in permanent creases into his trousers, jeans included!
~Laura

Sarah said...

Hey Cheri,
This is Sarah Grier, Now Van Dam. How are you?

Janene said...

hmmmm... .once I felt really silly that I had to iron my denim skirt. :o)

Camille said...

Ahh - the memories you've brought back of standing (sitting when desperate) for 3-5 hours a week to do my ironing! The only reason I survived was cause I could call you and talk my way through it all! I did iron my jeans (no creases), but I had to - they were so wrinkled that you couldn't have gotten one leg in without flattening them out. I still want to ship you to the UK for a year - come on - you'd love it! :) Especially with all those baby clothes to wash!