Saturday, October 18, 2008

Friends

I truly have some amazing friends. I feel so honored to be surrounded by so many amazing women. At the RS Broadcast three years ago President Faust gave a wonderful talk. I remember talking with a friend about his words the next day; what stuck out to us was how he said we all need friends. I find this especially true for females. Husbands are great, but we thrive on friendships and time with other females:

"As President Hinckley has often said, we all need friends. Friendship fills us with warmth and love. It is not confined to the young or the old, the rich or the poor, the little known or the public figure. Whatever our circumstances, we all need someone who will listen to us with understanding, pat us on the back when we need encouragement, and nurture in us the desire to do better and to be better."

I've been thinking about this a lot the last few days. About a month ago, a good friend told me she'd be giving me a baby shower. I resisted (I already had a girl!), but she turned it into a double shower (the other girl is having a boy 4 weeks after me) and wouldn't take no for an answer. Realizing there wasn't much I could do, I gave in. Don't get me wrong - I was flattered. I just was a little embarrassed. Anyway, the shower was last week and I was so overwhelmed by the dear friends who came (or sent gifts) to show their support. There were young girls who came (Emma being the youngest), and the older ladies in the ward were also there, many of whom don't know me very well. It didn't matter - people came because I think other women feel the same way I do and love the chance to hang out with other women.

The gifts didn't really matter to me. Of course it was so nice to get new things for this baby (who will, by the way, be the best-dressed little girl ever. Think Paris Hilton, who never wears the same thing more than once. No joke.). Spencer said, "You've GOT to be kidding" at least 35 times when I brought the bags of stuff home. But more than that, I realized how lucky I am to live where I do and to have such a great group of friends - from the children all the way up to the grandmas. The fact that they all came and we got to eat chocolate and pumpkin pie and just be together was the best part.

Here are a couple of pictures from the shower/post-shower. This first one is Melanie and me - the shower was for both of us.


By the way...we found an AWESOME dresser/changing table for the baby (we're already giving our younger kids way more than our older ones ever had!) for dirt cheap - brand new - as well as a new glider for Spencer...er, for me. Haha, we'll see who really uses it.

12 comments:

The Howard Bolton Family said...

Congratulations on having so many good friends and on the great haul!

jksfam said...

I feel the same way about the MB ward! We only moved there about 2 months before I had the twins. They had a shower for me, even though it was my 3rd & 4th kids (maybe the twin thing made it more fun!) and gave me such wonderful things! What I liked most about it was meeting some of the older sisters that I wouldn't have otherwise. It makes my heart happy to remember it! Thanks for bringing back those fond memories!

I hope you are doing well and the delivery, etc. go well.

Jamie said...

You know it seems some people really need friends and some people don't as much. I'm one of those who feels totally refreshed after attending a book group, lunch or just a, informal chat with a friend. I'm glad you've found plenty of generous friends. I'm with you on even the grandmas. Its nice to have older friends that you can watch and learn from.

Gary and Michelle said...

Emma looks like she is in heaven amongst all those clothes. We are excited to hear what you're going to name this one. Don't you think I'm too young to have this many great nieces and nephews?

Trisha Paddock said...

Cheri, you are so humble and modest....everyone loves you and that is probably the reason why you had so much support! You deserve it! Hope your delivery is fast, safe, and easy! Congratulations!

BTW-Your ward sounds like Manhattan Beach ward.

hales said...

You've found a "golden" ward when they can be compared to the Manhattan Beach Ward. Lucky you.
Can't wait to meet this precious baby. Let the spoiling begin.

Nau Willis said...

that is so awesome cheri! What an awesome ward to take care of you like that!!! Cant wait to see the baby!!

Kristina and Tyson said...

You deserve all the gifts for that sweet little girl! I am sure Emma loved it too! Send me the colors and I will send you some cute bows!!!

Jana said...

I was so sad I missed it! I had already told my brother I would watch their kids while they went to the temple... but I'm glad you had fun!

p.s. Tyler is the funniest little boy in nursery. I'm going to be so sad when he leaves!

Melanie said...

Cheri,
Mike couldn't believe the amount of stuff I got either. Everyone was so generous!! I will get around to sending you that picture of us as soon as I download it from my camera :) I'm a little slow these days. BTW - Mike and I finally switched the kids rooms so now the crib is up in Tyler's room and I can start organizing the baby stuff. Hooray!!

Aloi Family said...

Is that really you????? you look so great and your family so sweet! how the heck are you? oh how I miss the Hales family wow I think Iam offically old now (hee-hee) visit me blog we need to stay in touch (aloifamily.blogspot.com) of course its really Bailey-Aloi (ha/ha)
love ya later... Heidi

Natalie N said...

Aww! Good for you Cheri! I'm glad you gave in and let someone spoil you for once. Heaven knows you deserve it! You got some serious loot! Whitney and I were just talking the other day about your baby that will be here soon. We're SO excited for you guys!! I can't believe November is almost here. WOW!