Sunday, October 5, 2008

Girl's night no longer

When I was in college I took a really cool Folklore class as an elective my senior year. For my final project, I put together a folklorish compilation of what LDS women do during the Priesthood session of Conference. I suspected (and later proved) that most women/girls have girly traditions. Growing up, and even in college when my parents would come to Utah for conference, the girls would go shopping. It was fun for us, and part of me thought that maybe the boys (dad and brothers) were jealous that we were out having more fun (and spending money) than they were at Priesthood. I looked forward to this semi-annual tradition. I loved buying a new skirt and a new pair of flip flops at what used to be ZCMI.

I found that other females often got together for game night or spa night, or went out to eat in large groups. It's fun to have just one more excuse to get together with the girls. My in-law's always got Marie Callendars' pies and would often go out for Chinese. When we were in Boston and the session didn't start until 8 p.m., I had a few friends come over and put their kids down at my house. We would watch a movie and paint nails.

These days, I find the time during Priesthood getting increasingly boring...for me. Last night Spencer left even before dinnertime. I made dinner for the kids and bathed them, then we played and read books. The guys in our ward have a tradition of going out to eat after the session. They chose Texas Roadhouse, which has awesome food but isn't the most quick place to go. So he got home around 10, while I had twiddled my thumbs for a few hours after the kids went to bed. Really, I'm glad they all got to do this together. But then again...I'm so used to having girl nights, and those days seem to be gone, at least for now. I called my sister and she and my mom were at the Gateway (SL), looking for purses. Was I jealous? Heck yeah! I told Spencer that from now on, the men should go to Priesthood, then come home and get their wives and we can all go out together!! But then that sorta spoils their tradition. There's got to be a compromise somewhere in this. I don't want my Folklore project from 5+ years ago to die off so soon. Long live Girls' Night Out!

By the way, I thought Conference was so great. I was especially touched by the talks of Elder Wirthlin, Elder Eyring, and Elder Holland. Can't wait for my Ensign!

*I just found this article from the Daily Universe that substantiates my folklore project. :)

7 comments:

Natalie N said...

We loved conference too. I loved the talks you mentioned, and I also loved Elder Perry's.

This post reminded me of one of the Priesthood traditions in TX. It's called the "Bleed & Feed." Maybe Spencer remembers it when he used to live here. For years our stake has hosted a huge BBQ before the priesthood session along with a blood drive. Kind of kills 3 birds with one stone: service, listening to church counsel, and dinner.

Hope your Sunday was relaxing!

Anonymous said...

We missed you!!! You're flying to SLC in April and going purse shopping with us. :-)

Jamie said...

I think it gets a little harder with kids. We might have to resort to hiring a babysitter for the night and going out by ourselves--no there's always someone else to do something with. Come to think of it--I've never done anything fun during priesthood session.

Elder Wirthlin, Holland, Eyring, Pres. Monson, Sunday morning and Hales were my favorite talks. They were all really good though. Its interesting how much more I get out of them by listening than reading. I'm going to have to download them and listen while I'm doing projects during Grant's naps.

hales said...

Priesthood Meeting shopping and Father's and Son's Shopping -- what would we do without these two great holidays?? It's all your fault you missed it; YOU moved away! However, soon you'll have Emma to be your shopping buddy. But I do like your idea of flying to SLC next Conference and just going with us. It's a date.

Sarah said...

Hello again,
I wanted to give you my e-mail address so we could catch up more.
sarahvandam02@gmail.com
hope your doing good!

Britney and Jaron said...

I totally remember those days of girls nights out as well. I think having children is what has ended those days. Too bad you don't live closer and we could start a new tradition! :) I just want to say how much I love reading your blog. You are hilarious! Also I hate the words preggo, preggie, and etc. as well!

The Howard Bolton Family said...

When we were young, my Mom just had us hang out at home with her. Then when my brothers started going to the Priesthood Session, she would have us hang out at home with delivered pizza. After my brothers missions, my Dad would drive them to Provo, to the Marriot Center for the Priesthood Session. My Mom and sisters would head out for the Mall.

My Dad now meets my brothers and their sons at the Marriot Center, while my sisters and Mom meet at my sister's home. They take the girls and young boys out to a movie at the dollar movie theater, shopping, bowling at BYU or something that all 17 grandchildren can do, without too much complaining. Then my Dad has them all meet at Brick Oven for a pizza party. My Dad used to buy for all of us, but with approximately 30 + mouths to feed (depending who is visiting from out of town), everyone pitches in money.

I always am jealous when I get the call and they tell me what the plans are.

I take the girls in our family out shopping, movies or dinner. I like the extra time with them. Lately it has just been Mikaela and I--kind of boring for her, so I think I will have to start inviting other mothers and daughters.