Thursday, April 24, 2008

Sticky Lips

That blasted ice cream truck came blaring by this afternoon...Spencer quickly reminded me I had "promised" them that next time we heard it we could try it out. Now, my kids are awesome about not opening the front door or going out without me(they're scared to death of "strangers") but within milliseconds of hearing the music, the door flew open and they were gone in a flash. I had to grab a couple dollars and by the time I got outside they were halfway down the block, jumping up and down like it was Christmas. It might as well have been. I let them pick popsicles based on the picture (laughing inside myself that they didn't have prices listed - such a ploy!). Tyler got some popsicle bomb (yes, it was a monster of a thing) and Emma got some lifesaver-flavored big popsicle. Amazingly my total was under $3 (I could do this more than once!) and we returned to the front porch - while giving and hearing a lecture about not running off - and licked frozen sugar to our lips' content. Nevermind that it was 4:45 p.m. Did they eat any dinner tonight? No. But I'm ok with that. What a lovely way to spend a spring afternoon outside--in the sun with sticky lips, chins, fingers, clothes, and toes.

6 comments:

hales said...

Finally!

Mark and Kim said...

I think I see a trend starting! Put up some pics of your new place!

Mark and Kim said...

ha...just saw the few below...:)

The Howard Bolton Family said...

I loved going to my Grandparent's house. There was always an ice cream truck in the summer. Then when we moved to Missouri, the truck came once a week and I loved letting the children (and Howard) by the "ice lollies." I think it is so much fun. The ice cream truck doesn't come to our neighborhood, but we can hear it during the summer time.

Mark and Kim said...

We just didn't feel right about it (and I'm kind of glad b/c it is a little liberal come to find out....though we would've loved the environment with the mtns). For now we're planning on staying here but who knows!

Janene said...

I heard the ice cream truck today and thought of you! :o)